Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to add a fuel system cleaner such as Lucas every 3 thousand miles?

I have a 2000 clk320 with about 83 thousand miles. I bought it last year with only 60k miles; however, I do not know if the guy used premium.

I fill up with premium only.

Also does anyone know if it makes a difference if i use Mobile 1 0W-40 rather than 0W-30 when changing my oil?

I am also thinking of getting my transmission fluid changed...good or bad idea? I've been reading different things some say you shouldn't change it, while others say change it every 40-60k miles...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
<caution: run on sentence alert> Are you considering fuel injection cleaner because you think the spray pattern of the injectors is bad due to cheap fuel that was used over 25K miles ago? If so, the proper way to fix that problem is to pull the injectors and send them out to be cleaned. The places I know (RC Engineering) charge $25 per injector. Alternatively, you can take the car to an indy or your dealer. As for running a tank based cleaner, I wouldn't, but others may.

The "right oil" is a highly debatable subject. To make a wordy post short - I use Mobil1 0-40 because Mercedes-Benz says so.

"I think" letting my dealer do a transmission service for about $300 is a great idea.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Patatoes, patawtoes, Tomatoes...

I use Lucas fuel treatment. 3+ yrs. Car runs cleaner, smoother faster up to redline. I always use premium from major brand gas station. I check mileage, it adds between 1.2 - 2.4 mpg. Sorry Marcus. It does work
(for Me) My wife drives it like a driving instructor. I drive it like I stole it.

Oil. You didn't say WHERE you lived. Temperature, its a very big deal with oil. Temp can add/subtract 3 levels of viscosity.
Check the owners manual, also new standards tend to lean to the thinner viscosities since the manual was written.
Transmission. Its not easy. Its not cheap. @ 97,000(sorry 83) mi. yours is tar. I could type forever. Just search this forum for transmission fluid replacement and complications. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I use Lucas fuel treatment. 3+ yrs. Car runs cleaner, smoother faster up to redline. I always use premium from major brand gas station. I check mileage, it adds between 1.2 - 2.4 mpg. Sorry Marcus. It does work
(for Me) My wife drives it like a driving instructor. I drive it like I stole it.
I trust you Hary, but if I use it, and my fuel economy goes up, when the guys start saying they don't believe me, I'm sending them to you. :D

These guys are a tough crowd.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Marcus You're so right. Everybody Should Question Others

Believe what truly works best for YOU. I don't just follow the majority. I take criticism and listen. I've tried crap and taken crap. I'm not proud but I earned a probation title on another forum for questioning a shops validity that basically "owns" that forum and not backing down without proof. So if I get tarred & feathered over fuel additives, I get that. Alot.:bash:

·
Registered
713 Posts
i like that hary

Believe what truly works best for YOU. I don't just follow the majority. I take criticism and listen. I've tried crap and taken crap. I'm not proud but I earned a probation title on another forum for questioning a shops validity that basically "owns" that forum and not backing down without proof. So if I get tarred & feathered over fuel additives, I get that. Alot.:bash:
genius pushes the bar, even when others would rather look at it and wonder... very nice to know were not alone here...

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Why I Post . What causes a problem

nrphlly thanks.
Its more about finding info and helping others. Helping people outweighs when people don't like it when they hear info they can't deal with.

About fuel additives. It can only make small changes.
Marcus was right, truly gummed up injectors can only be cleaned by removal & machine pressure flush.
Lucas cleaner can help if its not too bad. But this is usually a bigger problem.
Alot is carbon and intake deposits. It builds up on the back of the valves and EGR adds intake build up. There's help for this too. You can remove most of it. Again its matters of degrees from a shop tech, or DIY ability.
Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

My car was having trouble starting in the cold...I had replaced the battery and crank shaft position sensor but it was still giving me problems. The last time it stopped was at a gas station which was embarrassing because my car was looking fresh! I added Lucas and have been driving it for a week now with no cold start problems.

I live in DC so we get all four seasons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fuel Additives Vs Injector Cleaning

For years before EFI it was known was upper cylinder lubricant. A little trans or diesel in the fuel to lubricate the valve guides and break up any varnish or carbon deposits that would develop over time. The mechanical aspects of an injector is very much the same. Some guys would swear by the results from a monthly dose of Marval Mystery Oil and then get her out on the highway to blow her out a little.
I developed a rough idle after a recent fill up. One bottle of injector cleaner the idle straightened out and she's been purring like a kitten ever since. No worries man.
Sorry to disagree with the gentlemen that suggests pulling the injectors but unless a major fuel problem is being corrected I found more damage is done when someone tries to R&R the injectors than the adverse effects of a good bottle of fuel additive.
You can hear the cries of the blog here, the Lucas product is seemingly one of the better additives on the market.
Drive on Dude! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For years before EFI it was known was upper cylinder lubricant. A little trans or diesel in the fuel to lubricate the valve guides and break up any varnish or carbon deposits that would develop over time. The mechanical aspects of an injector is very much the same. Some guys would swear by the results from a monthly dose of Marval Mystery Oil and then get her out on the highway to blow her out a little.
I developed a rough idle after a recent fill up. One bottle of injector cleaner the idle straightened out and she's been purring like a kitten ever since. No worries man.
Sorry to disagree with the gentlemen that suggests pulling the injectors but unless a major fuel problem is being corrected I found more damage is done when someone tries to R&R the injectors than the adverse effects of a good bottle of fuel additive.
You can hear the cries of the blog here, the Lucas product is seemingly one of the better additives on the market.
Drive on Dude! :)
Lol, thanks for the advice! I guess its all an experience with Mercedes, nonetheless, I could never go back to Toyota or any other japanese/american for that matter. I love my Benz and taking care of it is one of the perks of owning this car...I feel more attached to it than I was to my camry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts