Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420SEL
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately I’ve been getting a faint fuel smell inside the car.

I checked under the hood and nothing smells like it in the engine bay.
I do have a small exhaust leak under the back seat, kidneys i suppose. I haven’t planned fixing it yet as it’s too small.
But since I do drive my kids around during weekends in it I’d like to get it figured out.
I found a vacuum line going from the throttle body to the side of the fender where ezl is came off the check valve because the rubber grommet developed a tear in it. It’s a larger diameter to smaller 90 degree rubber part that’s very small. I taped it up for now and plugged it back in. I ordered a new part.

Other than that what else can it be?

Gals cap does make a small whoosh sound when I open it. So some pressure in the tank is there for sure.

Car runs fine. All new vacuum tubes and I take gaskets and all that Jazz under hood.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
MB fuel cap? Seal needs to be good, and fully tightened after filling.

Fuel tank check valve should be checked /replaced and lines to charcoal cannister checked for open-ness.
You'll find info in the archives, pressures etc have been posted and I think the part number of the fuel tank pressure check valve. Super easy and cheap to replace.

·
Registered
1991 560Sec
71 Posts
My charcoal canister lines were straight up leaking drops of fuel. But if I recall correctly mine seemed to smell of fuel when I turned on ac/heat so the fan seemed to pull mine in. I don’t think I found a solution before I tore the whole car up. Wondering if yours is the same when turning the fan on.

·
Registered
420SEL
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My charcoal canister lines were straight up leaking drops of fuel. But if I recall correctly mine seemed to smell of fuel when I turned on ac/heat so the fan seemed to pull mine in. I don’t think I found a solution before I tore the whole car up. Wondering if yours is the same when turning the fan on.
Thanks for bringing that up. Now that I think about it, that could be it as I have climate control on auto most times.

Where is the canister ? Where should I look for the leak?

Thanks.

·
Registered
420SEL
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks. I’ll take a look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,666 Posts
At this age of car it’s time to completely replace all rubber fuel lines for the rear fuel pump all the way to in the engine compartment . There have been many w126 fires in this forum due to fuel lines failing as a result of ethanol in modern gas . These should be replaced NoW whether or not you see fuel leaking

another source Of possible fuel leakage is the eha. Check it .

·
Registered
420SEL
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I’ll look it over.
Eha o rings are new. They were replaced when I was doing all the intake gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts