Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Seeking some feedback on something I recently noticed with my 2001 C320. After filling the gas tank I noticed afterwards that I could smell the gas particularly after I parked the car in the garage. I know this can happen on any car if you overfill the tank (ie. past the point where the pump clicks off when you are filling), however on this occasion I did not overfill - I never do. After burning off 2+ gallons the smell is gone. I am wondering if there is a leak at the top where the filler is and the fumes are venting out. Anyone experience this before and have any suggestions. I was going to bring it to the dealer because this has never happened before. I can smell the gas in the car until I burn off a few gallons. Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amazing coincidence!

I have the EXACT same problem on my '01 C240.

I have an appointment to take it to the dealer this afternoon. I'll let you know what we find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What they found

They said it was a bad seal on the fuel level sender unit on the gas tank, under the rear seat.

Supposedly, they fixed it.

·
Registered
2001 C320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: What they found

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to have that checked out. Seems like an unusual thing to go bad, but oh well - nothing surprises me anymore. Hope that solves your problem - keep me posted. Again, I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2013 ML350, 2004 ML350
335 Posts
happened to...

I've had a bad seals on my ML and on my parent's bmw 525i and 635csi

·
Registered
9 Posts
What it said on the repair order

Paraphasing, it said that they filled the tank, noticed the strong fuel smell from inside the car, removed the back seat and found that it was leaking from the sending unit seal, drained the gas tank and removed the sender, found a "cut seal" (must have been that way from the factory, as the sender has never been removed before).

Replaced the seal and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
2001 C320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Thanks for the details. I am making an appointment for Monday. I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2001 C320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Got my car back tonight. And it was a fuel leak - the seal on the fuel sending unit - exactly described as in SoCalC240/6's response. My husband filled the tank when he dropped off the car - they found the leak easily - fuel puddled around the fsu on top of the tank.

Also, something unrelated to this problem, there was an apparent intermittent problem with the Teleaid that I was not aware of. I had been getting the infamous "visit the workshop" message, but when I called MB they said I just needed a software update. Turned out to be a little more involved. When they ran the diagnostic they had problems getting a signal. Of course they took the whole inside of the car apart to replace a wiring harness. Hope I don't hear all the mystery noises now! ;-)

Thanks again for the feedback. This can be a very informative and helpful forum. Glad I signed up!

·
Registered
'93 500E, '02 C320 Wagon (sport), '78 308 GTS, '00 Contour SVT, '03 SV650s
157 Posts
Hi All,

I've got an '02 C320 wagon with a fuel leak from the drivers side tank. I was able to remove the rear seat to get access. It appears to be leaking from the fuel pump/sending unit top. Does this unit on the top of the tank just screw off? It appears to that it has "grips" like the top of a jar. Would I unscrew so that I could replace the seal?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Henry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts