Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to just hose out the in-tank sender? i dont want to buy a new one, theyre like a hundred bux! i really havent driven the car much and it runs out *all* the time!

i guess i can buy the sender, but damn, that just hurts!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I suppose you could examine the sender wires for corrosion or damage and try to clean or replace…[?]

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
First, try and clean the connection on the top of the sender. It may be corroded, and that may save you the trouble of a brand new sender or having to remove yours. The connector is accessible by removing the first aid box by taking out the two phillips head screws, the connector will be right on top. If that doesn't work, time to pull out the bucks, because I've read that even cleaning it doesn't work all of the time.
-Joe

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i "tested" the plug on/off method of repair and it did nothing.

its either a faulty gauge or sender. maybe the wiring got pinched/cut?

i HAVE to get this repaired, this car has run out of gas many many many times in the short 2 months ive had it.

fuel consumption also seems to be fairly high. imma try to adjust the valves and have it tuned by a diesel guy on spring break and see if that helps at all.

seems like the fuel system might have been filled with snake oil prior to my buying the car, everything was fine on that first tank of fuel...

on the plus side though, the transmission shifted really hard when i first got it and with regular driving smoothed right out. maybe the car sat too long, i know old cars dont like to sit still!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts