Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 92 400e as a project car. I got it so cheap I couldn't pass it by. The car was sitting for years. It needed fuel pumps and I did all the fuel system work. The fuel tank was clean but I see some rust in the main fuel line and thought about putting a filter inline at the fuel rail. I am not educated on fittings. So my question is (really I have 20 but first): What type of fitting attaches to the fuel rail? Even if I replace the line I would probably bend my own tubing and such with AN fittings. This is the 4.2l m119 engine. any advice?

Brian

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I don't know the fitting size, but there isn't room for an inline filter at the rail anyway. If the line is rusted that badly internally, replace the metal line. If it's not that bad, forget about it. There is already a strainer built in to the rail inlet to keep larger debris out of the rail.

More importantly, check the condition of the fuel hose at the exit of the fuel filter, that attaches to the metal line. If it's not recent, replace it... these get pinhole leaks and spray high pressure gas near the exhaust. It's caused more than one car-B-que. Just avoid the off-brand replacements. And if there is an off-brand installed now, replace it. Photos at this link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts