Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 580CE 5-speed
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 280CE that's having problems with the 9-pin fuel pump relay. The original one failed about a week ago, so I purchased and installed a new one. Within 3 days and only 40 miles or so of driving, the replacement failed as well. I was able to jump the circuit to get the car home, where I then removed a rather hot relay. I don't know, at this point, if I have a defective replacement or a problem with the "load" the relay is receiving (could it have been hot just because the engine compartment is inherently hot? In addition, the ambient temperatures have been running in the 90 degree (F) range lately). Any suggestions? I don't want to try another relay (they're relatively expensive) until I determine if there's something else causing the failure. Anyone know what sort of electrical load I should be looking for at the relay terminal? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Electrical problems can be a tricky item to trace down. It sounds like you have a short ci...

Electrical problems can be a tricky item to trace down. It sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere or even a faulty ground. Try tracing your wires and see if you have some worn, loose, or crossed wires. The other thing would be to use a circuit tester to test your leads but you need to get a wiring diagram to check to see which of the wires are supposed to be hot. With MB wiring, it is very easy to switch around the wires in the terminals if you disassemble them and get them misplaced accidently if you're not careful.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
My 78 280CE has what looks like two fuels filters.
There is another filter in addition to...

My 78 280CE has what looks like two fuels filters.
There is another filter in addition to the filter listed in standard filter guides. Were there some made with two filters or did someone add a second at one time?
John Gregg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.