Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

first, Yes I've been looking around the forum for few hours and reading about fuel pump relay problems, which sounds to be my problem, but can't get all the info I need.

First, My car 560 sel 1988 is stock at 65 km from home in a lost parking lot in a small village. Just been riding fine this morning, got to work, arrived at noon to lunch and.... don't starts anymore.

I turn the key, and it will run for 2 seconds and stall. I don't really hear nois from the pump. It was really slushy and heavy snow with 2 degrees. I found a relay about 3 inches long 3 inches in height and 1 inch with, as I read in the forum part number is 201 821 00 47. I tried to find pin 7 and 8 to jump, nothins such as this.

Probably have the wrong relay in my hands.

First if it is the pump relay, jumping it will have the car able to run back for about an hour? Is that relay located into the fuse compartment under the hood ?

If it is the fuel pump, is there an easy way to install a spare one momentarilly just enough to get the car back home? don't forget, wheather is bac to minus 12 minus 15 tomorrow and the next days. I don't want to freeze up installing a new pump in the snow as a permanent fix, in a parking lot.

If someone can clue me to some basic diagnostics testing first and momentarally fixes to get it back home or to my garage, it will avoid me a towing of 130 km (back and forth)

Thanks all for your help

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Its not a fuse you are looking for, but a black box similar to what I think you pulled, might have the letters KPR on it. The one you pulled might be the Klima relay. If you shine a flashlight into the housing where the relay is plugged into, you'll clearly see the holes marked and see where 6 and 7 are - plug a short wire into them and if the fuel pumps run and the car starts, you can get it home and get another relay.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that rapid info.

I don't see the letters KPR as I took back that black box home with me. Written on it j590e/945b Max 6x32CP

Ill check tomorrow when I'll go back to the job and see if I can find this Da&%%$#%$n relay and do the wire jumping.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
Hi all

first, Yes I've been looking around the forum for few hours and reading about fuel pump relay problems, which sounds to be my problem, but can't get all the info I need.

First, My car 560 sel 1988 is stock at 65 km from home in a lost parking lot in a small village. Just been riding fine this morning, got to work, arrived at noon to lunch and.... don't starts anymore.

I turn the key, and it will run for 2 seconds and stall. I don't really hear nois from the pump. It was really slushy and heavy snow with 2 degrees. I found a relay about 3 inches long 3 inches in height and 1 inch with, as I read in the forum part number is 201 821 00 47. I tried to find pin 7 and 8 to jump, nothins such as this.

Probably have the wrong relay in my hands.

First if it is the pump relay, jumping it will have the car able to run back for about an hour? Is that relay located into the fuse compartment under the hood ?

If it is the fuel pump, is there an easy way to install a spare one momentarilly just enough to get the car back home? don't forget, wheather is bac to minus 12 minus 15 tomorrow and the next days. I don't want to freeze up installing a new pump in the snow as a permanent fix, in a parking lot.

If someone can clue me to some basic diagnostics testing first and momentarally fixes to get it back home or to my garage, it will avoid me a towing of 130 km (back and forth)

Thanks all for your help
Welcome. To take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies. It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information, and many write ups re your topic

·
Registered
267 Posts
In the firewall area of the car,, between the brake booster and the battery, are some relays. On the brake side of center, there will be 2 very similar black boxes, about 1.25 inches thick, and about 3 inches long. One will say "Klima" on it, and this is the AC relay. The other should say KPR and mention kickdown, and this is the fuel pump relay. Yoiu just pull it up and it comes out. It has about 9 pins on it. They are labelled and numbered. I do not remember exactly which connections to connect, but the idea is to get the +12V, which I think is the one labelled 30, to the fuel pump, which I think is the one labelled 87 (note there are also 87K, 87H, which are different outputs). The part number of the relay depends on how new it is. The current number is the 003 545 25 05 number. The original for your year is, IIRc, 002 545 16 05, or something like that. Note that the number for the Klima relay is similar. Charlie

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the firewall area of the car,, between the brake booster and the battery, are some relays. On the brake side of center, there will be 2 very similar black boxes, about 1.25 inches thick, and about 3 inches long. One will say "Klima" on it, and this is the AC relay. The other should say KPR and mention kickdown, and this is the fuel pump relay. Yoiu just pull it up and it comes out. It has about 9 pins on it. They are labelled and numbered. I do not remember exactly which connections to connect, but the idea is to get the +12V, which I think is the one labelled 30, to the fuel pump, which I think is the one labelled 87 (note there are also 87K, 87H, which are different outputs). The part number of the relay depends on how new it is. The current number is the 003 545 25 05 number. The original for your year is, IIRc, 002 545 16 05, or something like that. Note that the number for the Klima relay is similar. Charlie
Thanks a lot, this is exactly the right info.

Got there this morning and figuresd it out, cause the Kickdown was written on it. And the other similar was Kilma. Even if the part number is really different (as you mentioned) from what I read.

Got the relay in my pocket, got inside for work and let it on the desk for the morning. At noon, got back to the car, banged gently twice and put it back in place..... Wham, woring again. I'll get the car back home sunday after the snow storm, meanwhile I'll order a new relay and probably keep this one, if still working for spare, after deep inquisition in it's interior.

Thanks all for the good information, really appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
glad it worked out. There were 3 different fuel pump relay numbers for the 1986-91 V-8 cars. There were slightly different in how the O2 sensor was connected. The only one available now is the latest, 003 545 25 05 (I think), which is backwardly compatible. The relays last about 100-125Kmi. So there isnt any point in getting a used one unless you are sure it is fairly new (there is a date stamped on them). Personally I wouldnt drive down the street without a spare FPR in the bag in the trunk. Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relay location on WD 107

I have an European 1986 300SL. Where is the fuel pump relay located on this body style? This is the same as the 560 SL body on the US version.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
I have an European 1986 300SL. Where is the fuel pump relay located on this body style? This is the same as the 560 SL body on the US version.
The correct forum for your car is the R107. Have you tried a forum search?

To make your post more effective, please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the 89 190e,2.6 engine, i have the one relay the one says klima 0025451305 i can;t find the other one, can some one please tell me the number of the other one so i can order thnx alot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts