Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but really appreciate the willing members have to share their knowledge and experience.
Can someone tell me if there is a link within the forum for buying parts, or do whatever links that are here forward you to other online stores such as ebay.? In particular, I'm looking for a fuel pump kit for a 78 240D. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Are you speaking of the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump or a rebuild kit for the Fuel Injetion Pump.
Kits for either of the above can be supplied by any Fuel Injection Shop that sells Bosch stuff. You can get an offical Bosch kit or a clone kit from a Company like SARCo.

For the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump Mercedes sells a Valve kit. The A 000 090 02 11 10
This is a Valve kit for the Fuel Supply/Lift Pumps that have the 2 Plastic T shaped Valve in it. It comes with 2 Copper Crush Washer, 2 Valves and 2 Valve Springs and is around $20 from the Dealer.

What it does not have is the tiny O-ring that seals the shaft of the part that pushes the Piston on the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump.
When I rebuilt mine I bought the O-ring from a local BMW Motorcycle Dealer
Lift Supply/Sump O-ring from BMW motor cycle carburator
BMW motorcycle parts 5x1.5 O-ring, cold-start enrichener shaft, part# 13 11 1 257 819
It was about $2 and I had to wait a week for it.

The other thing the kit does not have is the large but thin Copper Crush Washer that goes on the large Hex Plug that is in the Center of the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump.

related thread:
83 300 D oil in diesel fuel - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
Also from my notes:
Bosch Fuel Supply lift pump kits
Bosch FP/K22MW22 Feed pump - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
Bosch FP/K22MW22 Feed pump There is a repair kit for these pumps. Bosch part number DGK301 The kit covers FP?K KE and KS pumps includes more parts than you'll need to rebuild your pump includes springs, copper crush washers, piston seal and check valves. Also included in the kit is the mounting gasket. There is a sediment bowl and prefilter cartridge included in the kit for other applications. Some of these pumps are used in heavy equipment and in the aviation industry. I got my kit overnight from a diesel injection shop I used in the past. Hope this makes the parts easier to track down. Price wise I got it for under $22.00 including shipping and local sales tax.

Note there is a plate on the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump that has the model Number.
That or the Fuel Injection Pump Numbers should be furnished to the seller; if you are not ordering by the part numbers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump kit. Thank you for the reply and all the info!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope I didn't buy the wrong part!

After reading the links on the above post, I looked on ebay at the pump I purchased. It says very clearly that it will fit a 78 240D. Here is the link:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

My plan was to buy this pump and rebuild my old one for a spare. Well, I went outside for another look at the pump on my 240D, and it looks very different:eek:. It has the fuel line from the primary filter coming in the right side, and just the primer pump (top center) and the output to the secondary filter (top left) coming off the top. This new pump looks like it should have all three attached to the top of the pump:confused:. Is it just a matter of moving the primary fuel line input to the fitting to the right of the primer pump?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
After reading the links on the above post, I looked on ebay at the pump I purchased. It says very clearly that it will fit a 78 240D. Here is the link:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

My plan was to buy this pump and rebuild my old one for a spare. Well, I went outside for another look at the pump on my 240D, and it looks very different:eek:. It has the fuel line from the primary filter coming in the right side, and just the primer pump (top center) and the output to the secondary filter (top left) coming off the top. This new pump looks like it should have all three attached to the top of the pump:confused:. Is it just a matter of moving the primary fuel line input to the fitting to the right of the primer pump?
I am not sure what Fuel Injection Pump you have on your Car now.

The new Fuel Supply/Lift Pump you bought appears to be for an MW type Fuel Injection Pump. (This Lift Pump uses the T shaped Plastic Valves.)

The Fuel Supply/Lift Pumps that go with the M type Fuel Injection Pumps have the Hand Primer up close to the Fuel Injection Pump and the Fuel Injection Pump itself has a Flat Sheet Metal Cover on the side that the Fuel Supply Lift Pump goes on.

That particular Fuel Supply Pump may use Disc Valves and need an different rebuild kit. Hence the importance of the ID Plate on the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't bought a rebuild kit yet. I'm just hoping the MW pump will fit in place of the M type. You'd think that it would or they wouldn't advertise that it would fit. Famous last words, I know. Any input from someone who has made the swap would be helpful though.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I haven't bought a rebuild kit yet. I'm just hoping the MW pump will fit in place of the M type. You'd think that it would or they wouldn't advertise that it would fit. Famous last words, I know. Any input from someone who has made the swap would be helpful though.
Thanks for your reply!
Ebay Sellers are well know for exagerating and simply not knowing what they are selling.
Many eBay Sellers buy items and go by the information that the company or person they bought them from.

In your case I would be very careful. There is a Camlobe inside of the Fuel Injection Pump that pushes on the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump. If the size of the Lobe is different it might push a pump that is not made for the job too for and crack the Fuel Injection Pump Aluminum Housing.

You need the more expert help of a Fuel Injection Shop. Simply bring the Lift Pumps with you and ask them if they can be interchanged.
If they say they will not help or the answer is no; you are no worse off.

Also you need to go on record with the eBay seller that the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump you recieved does not match what you have. Simply Email the seller and see what he has to say.

What I do not understand about this whole issue is that once you have the rebuild kit and the Lift Pump is off it is only about a 30min-1 hour job to replace the parts in the kit.
There is some info on rebuilding the newer and older Lift Pumps below:
DIY Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

Also there is a learning curve on these Cars. I bought a brand new Timing Chain Tensioner and found out the one of a non-tubo 300D is not the same as the one for the Turbocharged 300D.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
Your talking about the main fuel line that goes into the lift pump being in a different place correct?

You should have no problem with the new lift pump you bought, however just check you car and make sure you have THREE bolt holes. One on top and two at the bottom. If you do then you are fine with the new pump you bought. If not then you in fact have to get a different one.

Early model just had the main fuel line go in the side and not in the top.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off, I purchased the new pump before I knew that I could rebuild the old one. I've only had the car for a couple of months so I got the neub thing going on. If the "new" pump is a fit, I will buy the rebuild kit for the old one (it has a brand new primer pump), and either sell it or hang on to it for a spare part.

I'm still somewhat confused from the above posts as to whether or not the pump I've purchased will work.:confused: Here's a couple of images of the one I have now. There is no fuel in the line because I just changed the hoses and don't plan on priming the thing until the new pump is in.

thanks for all the replies!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
From your pics I see you have an MW type Fuel Injection Pump.

Other than that I cannot say if the Lift Pump you bought will fit an function properly.

You might ask the same question but on the Peachparts forum as the members there seem more experienced.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Thanks!
I'll check there, but the folks here have been mighty helpful so far.
No need to feel like a traitor.
Benzworld and the Peachparts (formally Mercedesshop) seem to be the 2 top forums.
I go by Diesel911 on the Peach Parts Forum.

For hot rodders the Superturbodiesel forum has a lot of info.

I wish there was some other good forums as I would look into them also.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
The fuel pump on the older MW pump is different from the one in the link I posted. The pump I assumed you had is used on a MW/RSF pump. It has a rod-like plunger that runs off of a cam in the IP.

The pump you show in your pictures has a roller on the end of it.

I hope you've got the right one! Do you have access to a FSM? If you are swapping pumps it is best to get the right one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fuel pump on the older MW pump is different from the one in the link I posted. The pump I assumed you had is used on a MW/RSF pump. It has a rod-like plunger that runs off of a cam in the IP.

The pump you show in your pictures has a roller on the end of it.

I hope you've got the right one! Do you have access to a FSM? If you are swapping pumps it is best to get the right one...
I made the decision to pull the trigger on this pump because;
1. The seller had a great rating with lots of transactions.
2. He had a chart that clearly showed the pump being a replacement for the one on my 78.

Luckily, I have a company car and two other running cars so no on is stranded while "The Tank" awaits healing. I will be very careful tomorrow when the new pump comes in. If anything looks funky or really different, it will go back in the box for a refund. Then I'll be back here PP looking for a rebuild link! I'll come loaded with lots of images from all sides. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
New to the forum, but really appreciate the willing members have to share their knowledge and experience.
Can someone tell me if there is a link within the forum for buying parts, or do whatever links that are here forward you to other online stores such as ebay.? In particular, I'm looking for a fuel pump kit for a 78 240D. Thanks!:)
Welcome, good questions karitoki. I agree, I have much to learn as well, the members on her are great, I feel like I've entered into a Brotherhood of MB!:thumbsup:

Good luck w your 240D,
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am really getting discouraged with this thing.
Last night I replaced the fuel pump and installed new pencil glow plugs. Turned it over. Nothing.
No problem; I went out to the "Toy Store" (Harbor Freight) and bought a tow strap. Called my buddy Tom who came right over. Strapped up "The Tank" to the back of his Dakota and away we went. At about 15mph I turned the key to "glow" for about 5 seconds and then popped the clutch in 2nd gear. It sounded just like it does when it's running, and there was plenty of blue smoke, but as soon as I pushed the clutch in; nothing. We repeated this throughout my neighborhood with the same results.
Again, this is a 79 240D with a 4 speed and no AC.

So, tonight after the dinner guests were gone, I went out and loosened the caps for the injectors and turned it over. Nothing.
Disconnected the fuel pump output line from the secondary filter housing. Pumped the manual primer pump; heavy flow for each pump (a little less than an ounce). When I turn the engine over less than a teaspoon of fuel squirts out. Reconnecting that line and disconnecting the connector that connects the output of the secondary fuel pump to the injector pump, same results. Big squirt when pumping the hand primer, very small squirt when I turn the car over.
At this point I’m thinking the injection pump cam that engages the roller pump inside the fuel pump has something wrong with it. Crap.:mad: Replacing that thing is beyond both my mechanical ability and my budget for this car.:surrender:
What do ya’ll think about my bypassing the mechanical fuel pump and installing an electric unit? I think the injector part of the IP is working. Don’t they use electric pumps on biodiesels?
Again, thanks in advance for all your help everyone.:bowdown:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been doing some research in the forum (and at Peach Parts) and I may have another thing to look at tomorrow; the IP relief valve. Perhaps once the system is "air free" and pressurized the fuel pump doesn't need to be pumping out more than I see it is. If I understand what I've read, if the bypass valve is stuck in the "bypass" position, than all the fuel is going back into the secondary filter as if the car was turned "off". Again, I am a newb and realize there might be plenty of pieces to the puzzle I'm missing, so any help is welcome.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I've been doing some research in the forum (and at Peach Parts) and I may have another thing to look at tomorrow; the IP relief valve. Perhaps once the system is "air free" and pressurized the fuel pump doesn't need to be pumping out more than I see it is. If I understand what I've read, if the bypass valve is stuck in the "bypass" position, than all the fuel is going back into the secondary filter as if the car was turned "off". Again, I am a newb and realize there might be plenty of pieces to the puzzle I'm missing, so any help is welcome.
Fuel going out of the Fuel Pressure Relief/Overflow goes back to your Fuel Tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts