Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<p>I have a question regarding fuel pressure in my 230SL. A while ago I replaced the original type fuel pump with one from a W126. My understanding is that significantly higher fuel pressure is generated by that latter pump. Should I be concerned about potential damage to or malfunction of the FI pump? So far things appear ok, however someone made a comment about potential risk.<p>Any inputs will be appreciated.<p>Thank you,<br>Eberhard near Stuttgart, Germany

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't see any problem except for lower gas mileage.

: Hello,<p>I have a question regarding fuel pressure in my 230SL. A while ago I replaced the original type fuel pump with one from a W126. My understanding is that significantly higher fuel pressure is generated by that latter pump. Should I be concerned about potential damage to or malfunction of the FI pump? So far things appear ok, however someone made a comment about potential risk.<p>Any inputs will be appreciated.<p>Thank you,<br>Eberhard near Stuttgart, Germany<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry but can't agree with you on that...more

The way it works is if there's too much gas and<br>not enough air pumped into the mixture, you're<br>running to rich and this may cause detonation.<br>Too much air and not enough gas, you're running<br>too lean and this will cause the engine to choke.<p>On newer cars, the computer take care of the<br>air-fuel mixture. That's why when people put<br>forced induction (i.e. supercharger, turbo), they<br>also add extra fuel injectors and/or change to <br>an overbored throtlle body.<p>What he did was add more fuel to the mixture and<br>most likely, the air would be insufficient.<br>I believe the On-board computer can correct<br>air/fuel deficiencies if it is not that much.<p>Good luck.<p>Mike<br>: : Hello,<p>I have a question regarding fuel pressure in my 230SL. A while ago I replaced the original type fuel pump with one from a W126. My understanding is that significantly higher fuel pressure is generated by that latter pump. Should I be concerned about potential damage to or malfunction of the FI pump? So far things appear ok, however someone made a comment about potential risk.<p>Any inputs will be appreciated.<p>Thank you,<br>Eberhard near Stuttgart, Germany<p><p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts