Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450 SL, 144K
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fuel pump, fuel accumulator and fuel filter on my 1979 450SL in March of 2006 and have since driven ~3000 miles. It has now begun to make the loud "humming/buzzing" noise, indicating imminent failure. I never let the fuel tank get below a quarter of a tank and have replaced the original gas cap with a new OEM gas cap. What is the life expectancy of a bosch fuel pump? Could anything else be causing the pump to fail? I just can't see replacing the fuel pump every year.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Have you cleaned out the tank? You may have dirt/rust/debris causing all this mayhem.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
juice1492 said:
What is the life expectancy of a bosch fuel pump? Could anything else be causing the pump to fail? I just can't see replacing the fuel pump every year.
Follow Ike's suggestion and clean the fuel tank. I have a receipt that came with my car showing a gas tank/fuel pump replacement about 6 years ago. I bought a new fuel pump because mine started making a buzzing noise once after a long trip in warm weather, but it's still sitting in my trunk waiting to be installed. It looks like I didn't need it after all, but it's good insurance to have. They should certainly last a lot longer than a year if there's nothing else damaging them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts