Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 1998 SL500 and I’m currently having issues with getting the car running. It will crank but will not run (car has spark). After confirming it has spark I noticed the fuel pump wasn’t making any sounds when I first turned the key. I’ve changed the fuel pump and fuel pump relay in the trunk above the battery but still no luck getting the pump working. I used a multimeter to confirm the lack of power. Also I believe the car is not equipped with the OVP. I’m not sure what It could be or what I should do next. Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks

· Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,737 Posts
You said that you have no power on the pump.
First check the fuses.
To check the relay use a test light on relay pin 3 and ground, do the same on pin 5.
That is what sends battery power to the fuel pump, bridging them. Pump/s should run constantly.
Expeariance needed. I don't advice that test, as is dangerous.
Pins 1 and 2 are switched by the key to energize the solenoid/ small voltage. One of them is for the relay ground.
The relay should have a diagram...
Remember that the fuel pump is energized for a second with engine not running.
If it all checks.
Check for missing ground.
Regards,
aam.

· Registered
56 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 1998 SL500 and I’m currently having issues with getting the car running. It will crank but will not run (car has spark). After confirming it has spark I noticed the fuel pump wasn’t making any sounds when I first turned the key. I’ve changed the fuel pump and fuel pump relay in the trunk above the battery but still no luck getting the pump working. I used a multimeter to confirm the lack of power. Also I believe the car is not equipped with the OVP. I’m not sure what It could be or what I should do next. Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks
Did you ever find the solution to this issue?

I have same year and engine and am occasionally struggling to start the car. It cranks but will not start up wondering if your solution can put me on the right track. Thanks

· Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,737 Posts
If you want you may try to remove the green relay, bridge pin 30 and 87.
Pump should constantly run.
Try to start.
Better?
Pump, relay problems.
Don't forget this is only for testing....
Regards,
aam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.