Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a change - not a problem, but a question for the knowlegable here.

I've been wondering what might have been the technical reasons behind MB decision on the design of most W203 & W209s to locate the fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

Most other MB models have the fuel pump & associated filter on the underside of the car at the rear, and fairly accessible to service. So why change?

Is the current design for C-class and CLK successful in that it gives very few problems? This might be so, as this forum rarely discusses this topic. What do others think?

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
My guess is that it makes it easier and cheaper for them and their contractor as screen, pump, check valve, etc. are convienently located and associated all in one place, and the same design or design type is used in countless designs and types of other cars.

I've replaced in tank fuel pumps, not a big issue unless the only access is having to drop the fuel tank - even then the real usual PITA is having to either drain the tank or do it with little fuel in the tank or use a jack to lower the tank, or have to jack up the car high enough to get the tank totally out, or have to remove a wheel or - you get the idea, if you have to remove the tank - its a real PITA!

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Cabriolet Black w/Beige leather
57 Posts
I had a mechanic tell me that because the pump runs in liquid all the time it has less wear and gives less trouble. This was a Ford mechanic. I don't know if that is true but there is some logic to it.

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
they've done it on commercials for years and the reliability has been much higher than chassis mounted units

1 - 4 of 4 Posts