Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 196K , 2003 Audi Allroad 153K
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

I was driving to work and I heard this wonderful dragging sound from under the car. Of course the first thing that went thru my head was muffler or something major. Turns out it was the fuel pumps, fuel filter plastic cover.

I was going to take it off but the back bolt was stripped and without having a way of lifting it up safely (side of the highway) I ended up having to break the back of it off.

Quesiton: Is there a long term problem leaving this off? It isnt holding up the pumps as far as I know and looks to be just like a skid plate.

Thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6
25 Posts
It wouldn't cause any problems directly. However, when that is off, your pumps/filter/etc. is exposed. I personally wouldn't feel safe driving around with that off.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
You really need to put it back on. You don't want that very expensive pump to get hurt. It will get flooded with water the first time you drive it in the rain, whereas before it wouldn't have even got wet. (I doubt it would, anyway)

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
As said above, you deffinatly want to put it back on. Having the pump short on you is never a good thing, especially when you are driving fast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright not a big deal. Now I just need to locate one. Anyone have one off a parts car?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my first option. There is only one junk yard in Salt Lake that carries these and they want a fortune for everything. For a used blower motor they want $100.00 and $75.00 for a used fuel pump.

I might call them but last resort. I have some requests out to people on flebay.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Ebay might be your best bet if you don't want to pay too much. You could always go to the dealer as a last resort, or possibly even fix the one you have.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
That was my first option. There is only one junk yard in Salt Lake that carries these and they want a fortune for everything. For a used blower motor they want $100.00 and $75.00 for a used fuel pump.

I might call them but last resort. I have some requests out to people on flebay.
I thought I was getting robbed when my junkyard wanted $30! But $100 bucks for a blower motor which may or may not work? WOW!

I really need to start my own junkyard business.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have thought that before. I wish they where cheaper just been a bad month for cars. My Land Rover decided to blow the ECU so there went my "extra" money for the month.

I was thinking of fabing it out of metal. I dont think they where waterproof but I need to lift mine up and crawl under it. Maybe this weekend after I find out the full damge at the mechanic for my Rover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts