Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 95 SL and am experiencing some strange fuel pump issues.
I will get fuel dripping out of the cover that covers the fuel pump and filter. It only happens occasionally. I have tried several times to figure out where the fuel is coming from but it will not leave any tell tale sign of where it is coming from. The dealer I took it too said he could not find where it was coming from either. I was thinking about changing the fuel pump as I believe it is the original with 128K on it. It never shows any sign of leaking but it is my only guess.

Now when you go to Autohzaz.zom and look up the fuel pump it says that serial number 103XXX and down take one 103XXX and up take two pumps. I cannot find any other pump on this car unless it is in the tank??????? My number is 113133 so I would think I would be in the second group??

Anyone have any light they can shed on this?

Thanks
Ronw435

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
There are two feeder pumps on your car.
If the fuel pump is dripping gasoline, it might require tightening the fuel lines going in and out of it.
It may be the fuel lines connecting your fuel filter.
Don't change your fuel pump unless it is making a loud noise.
It can be something simple and cheap. Check before investing in expensive parts.

Could you possibly be overfilling your tank? When is this happening?

Go to an indy, have the car raised, turn it on, and wait for gasoline to drip.

Or, light a match, and follow the fire stream. It will get you to the source :D

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did tighten the lines a bit but I don't think they were loose enough to be leaking and there were no tell tale marks, like where the gas may have been running. Usually it will leave a trail even on a hose but I could not find anything.

Thanks RKH for the picture on the fuel system. I will have to go looking for the pump under the hood. I had the entire intake manifold off a while back to change the TPS and did not see any pump but it must be there somewhere...lol.

Thanks for your reply elbeik the pump does not make a bit of noise when it is running, I put it on jacks and ran it to try and find the source. I will continue on looking. I cleaned the pan that covers the rear pump and hope it will give me an idea on where it is dripping.

Thanks again for all your help

Ronw435

1 - 4 of 4 Posts