Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was on a trip few weeks ago and was parked uphill and low on fuel, engine running a few minutes. When I pulled off I barely made up the hill at which point the eng light went on and the car stalled. I was able to start it again and the car was sputtering and I was able to pull it into a shopping center.

ml320 1998 has 230,000 miles and the fuel filter never been changed prior. I changed the sparkplugs and air filter less then 5,000 miles.

I put more fuel with some fuel treatment into the tank, I tried washing the old filter out and took the fuel pump out, washed the strainer, put everything back and the car still started, sputtered and died. I found an old style filter online and replaced the filter and cleaned the strainer again. I started the car, it ran fine for a few minutes but strated sputtering again and died before the temp reached 40.

I tried to start it again, check eng light still on, it started and I was able to pump the gas pedal for a few minutes until I was able to get the rpm to around 3,000rpm, it did not want to go there...I ran the the car at 3,000rpm for 10+minutes and it ran nicely, I let off and it was fine until it sputtered again and died, I started it again and drove it around the parking lot and it could not climb any inline part of the parking lot and would start sputtering...I decided to park it, and as I did, the check engine light started blinking and the car just cut off, I ried to start it again and it started sputtering without proper ignition and just cut off agan as the eng light was blinking.

Problem is that the car is old and I am frustrated at this point because it is 50 miles away so I was trying not to have to tow it while I am fixing it, but at this point I am stumped as to why the car is not running properly. I have to get a code reader and see what the codes say, but any ideas why the car is acting the way it is? I cleaned a lot of stuff out of the fuel components and I thought I solved it.

Can this be the fuel pump?
Did I clog the new filter?
Did I clog the injectors?
How can I diagnose this, do you think the codes will say more then a misfire?

Any help is apreciated, I am just stuck with my a$$ hangin in the wind:surrender:

Thanks

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,603 Posts
That's a lot of work done in another town. Most of us cannot do this at home. If you haven't done yet, you should check the fuel pressure as the next step to test the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe you got a bad batch of gas? Yes is could be the filter or the pump. If you have codes then it could be ignition related too (coil pack, plug wires, etc).

Get the codes read first.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,972 Posts
Check fuel pressure (>50psi) if good check delivery volume (>1 liter/30 seconds) if good look at your last fuel up receipt. Have you put diesel in it? If possible have codes read from OBDII.

Put your ass back inside. You are gonna catch cold.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It does appear to be fuel related but the crankshaft position sensor affects fuel supply too. No signal then no fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does appear to be fuel related but the crankshaft position sensor affects fuel supply too. No signal then no fuel.
Thanks for all the replys!

I will try to get a scanner and read the codes;
I will try to measure the fuel pressure/consumption;

I do not believe that I put diesel in it because I was driving fine and not until I let it idle uphill with low fuel did my troubles strat, it ran fine for a while today...

Will a faulty cps throw a code?

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
When it comes to the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors they are a PITA because they do not always throw a code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey just read the codes,

p0460 - tank fuel sender malnfunction;

p0301;0303;0302;0300 - cyl 1,2,3 plus random misfires;

p0150 - o2 sensor malnfunction;

p0173 & 0170 - both banks of fuel trim malnfunction.

The only red flags I see is the fuel trim malnfunction, but what am I supposed todo about it?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,972 Posts
Misfires on one bank signal possible problem with catalytic converter. To confirm check exhaust back pressure or swap coils and wires from bank to bank.

P0170, P0173 get set when there is fuel starvation, air leak plugged up cat or bad MAF.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,972 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went all the way out to work on the car today and cleaned the maf. Tried to start the car and it just kept turning. No noise comming from the pump (normal?). I got some starting fluid and the car sputtered indicating some ignition. Question, is it fairly certain at this point that I have a bad pump? I also reset the check engine light, I didnt see the light come on again. Thanks.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,603 Posts
I went all the way out to work on the car today and cleaned the maf. Tried to start the car and it just kept turning. No noise comming from the pump (normal?). I got some starting fluid and the car sputtered indicating some ignition. Question, is it fairly certain at this point that I have a bad pump? I also reset the check engine light, I didnt see the light come on again. Thanks.
Did you check the fuel pressure yet? As soon as you turn the key to position 2, pump should be running. No noise from the pump is abnormal. You probably have a dead pump or bad pump wiring/relay. If the pump is still accessible, check the wires for 12v. Two wires are for fuel sensor other two are 12v and ground. If pump is not accessible, there is a connector behind the wheel liner of the left driver side rear wheel (close to the fuel filter). If there is 12v (key in position 2), no hum from the pump and no fuel pressure, then you are due for a new pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts