Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to fill up your tanks in the States?

For me in the UK, it'll cost around £70..give or take. I guess that would be approx $140.

There is a BP petrol station just down the road from me that is one of the only BP garages in the country that sells performance BP Ultimate fuel. That stuff costs around £2.50 a litre last time I looked. With that stuff, you even have to punch in a clearance code before you can start pumping it - probably to prevent people accidentally filling their car with it and then finding themselves facing a £150 fuel bill!

Anyway, fuel prices here are ridiculous and was just wondering what you guys are paying.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, we know that Euro countries are paying top money for fuel but, $140 to fill up is simply ridiculous. In San Diego area, 91 octane @ 3.40 /gal. Give or take, I pay around 35 - 40 dollars per fill. I guess you really need to plan your trips over there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, we know that Euro countries are paying top money for fuel but, $140 to fill up is simply rediculous. In San Diego area, 91 octane @ 2.40 /gal. Give or take, I pay around 35 - 40 dollars per fill. I guess you really need to plan your trips over there.
Yeah mate, things are not too hot over here when it comes to...well....everything really! :crybaby2:

$35 - $40 a fill?!??!?........man, that's like £20!!!

The premiuim fuel I use is 99 octane / RON I think, it's good shit - but that performance stuff I mentioned is 102 Octane / RON - proper potent I'm guessing!

Anyway. Thanks for cheering me up.

:(

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
wow thats a lot of green, I might have to own somethinig else for that much

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
MAD FUEL PRICES>>>

I know exactly where Rashman is coming from in this one....

Its the very reason why in the UK we avoid driving larger engine cars, and why I decided on a CLK 230 Kompressor as it gave the best performance and best MPG too.! In fact the second hand large engine cars are usually cheaper then the more economical. My friend bought a fully loaded top spec BMW 740 Series new shape (5 years old) for £1500, because who is wanting to pay £80 ($160) to fill the tank?

I myself drive only 22miles a day 5 days a week and some at the weekends, but it will cost me approx £150 every 4 weeks on fuel ($300).

I did a calculation, hope its correct:

Cost to fill tank = £70
Price per litre = £1.05
70 / 1.05 = 66.7l in full tank 66.7 converted into US gallons = 17.62 gallons US
70 / 17.62 (x2 exchange rate) = $7.95 per gallon !

I also noticed that when I took a photo of my new wheels the other day at the petrol station you can just see the fuel price in the background...

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah but in the UK doesn't a tank of gas last a year?

Americans - think 200 years is old
Brits - think 200 miles is far

Here in Chicago we're at about the same price... 3.35 a gallon when I filled up on Sunday. But if you think that's fun, 12 years ago when I graduated high school premium was $1.06 a gallon, and when a new gas station opened it'd be $.99 for the first week.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know exactly where Rashman is coming from in this one....

Its the very reason why in the UK we avoid driving larger engine cars, and why I decided on a CLK 230 Kompressor as it gave the best performance and best MPG too.! In fact the second hand large engine cars are usually cheaper then the more economical. My friend bought a fully loaded top spec BMW 740 Series new shape (5 years old) for £1500, because who is wanting to pay £80 ($160) to fill the tank?

I myself drive only 22miles a day 5 days a week and some at the weekends, but it will cost me approx £150 every 4 weeks on fuel ($300).

I did a calculation, hope its correct:

Cost to fill tank = £70
Price per litre = £1.05
70 / 1.05 = 66.7l in full tank 66.7 converted into US gallons = 17.62 gallons US
70 / 17.62 (x2 exchange rate) = $7.95 per gallon !

I also noticed that when I took a photo of my new wheels the other day at the petrol station you can just see the fuel price in the background...
Hey buddy - yeah, you know the script! Luckily I do about 4,500 miles a YEAR so I don't get stung too much for fuel.

How're the wheels?? - Hope you haven't curbed any yet!!

I cannot describe the feeling of curbing a brand new wheel... it happened to me about 2 weeks after I got my 19's.
I had to buy a new wheel to replace it.. it was killing me!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
About $3.35 a gallon here in Indiana, I drive about 320 miles a week (50 a day for work). I use only BP 93 Octane Premium. In years past when we were getting price gouged at the pump I was paying $3.97 because oil was $88 a barrel, now with it $100 a barrel I still see gas for $2.99. I cant be convinced that price gouging wasnt happening.

·
Registered
821 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong a liter is less then a gallon correct??? Yeah, whatever the case gas is high as hell everywhere!!! that's why i try to drive when the weather permits, or after a carwash!!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
As from my earlier comment its 66.7litres to fill the tank and this converted into US gallons = 17.62 gallons US.

I would agree that fuel is obviously getting more expensive world wide, but i wouldnt agree that compared to average earnings in the US againts the cost of fuel is in proportion to the UK average earning againts fuel...

Basically it costs Europeans around 3x more for fuel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 US Gal - 3.8 L / 1 Imperial Gal = 4.2 L
Costs me $70/fill up... Everyone else pays the same though.. Unless if you get a civic.. Also, they say by May it'll hit $5/Gal.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I always wondered why and how gallons are different from imperial and US gallons..?
But as for the cost of fuel, I just enjoy the ride I have and drive conservitively as much as possible, but still have some fun now and then!! As for $70 to fill the tank, I would keep that one to yourself, because theres a lot of people that would get really annoyed because they are used to paying $140+ to fill up. The last time it cost me $70 (£35) to fill up was more then 10 years ago!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow .. Ur lucky guys..

I live in jordan ( middle east ) near iraq and saudi arabia!!

I fill my clk230k , for 44.1 Jordanian dinars..

44.1 JD's = 65 USD

We need an average of 300$ / month !! while our average income in jordan 1000$ / month..

For me i pay 300$ ( 10% of my income ) monthly for fuel!! isnt it bad ??

Also the maintainance & the car oils are extremely expensive..

Thats why all the low income own Japanese & korian cars in jordan..

Bottom line... CLK ROCKS ;), i dont care about money as long as i love this car..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts