Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 1985 300CD. Others who I had spoken to who own MBZ diesels claim to get around 25mpg around town and from 28-32 on the hwy. <br>
<br>
After purchasing this vehicle and making about $2K in repairs (including setting the valves) I drove the car 1100 miles in about 17 hours. The fuel mileage for the trip was from 20 to 22 mpg. <br>
<br>
This is quite a bit less than what I had expected. Can any of you knowledgeable folks tell me if my experience is typical? I had one mechanic tell me that I could need to have my injector pump 'timed,' another suggested that the injector nozzles may not be spraying properly. <br>
<br>
I am hoping for some guidance from folks who know these cars... if you can help, please respond. <br>
<br>
Thanks, <br>
<br>
Steve Atkinson <br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a GIRLFRIEND OF MINE HAD A 1979 CD, THIS MODEL IS WITHOUT A TURBO, AND ON THE HIGHWAY HER MILEAGE WAS 29 MPG.<p>1Cust93.tnt1.sarasota.fl.da.uu.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we get around 29-30 mpg

Our recently bought 85 300CD has been getting about 29 mpg, mostly on the highway. we had injectors recalibrated right after we bought it, which increased the power a bit, but our mileage was good both before and after.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20-24 all around. 85CD Turbo change primary and secondary fuel filters more often. Most trouble free car I've ever known.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a 1982 300CD with 82,000 miles and have drove it for 1200 miles and kept records. Most of driving has been highway 75%-25% city. The milage varies from 24.6 mpg to 26.2 mpg. I drive at 60-70 miles per hour. I thought milage would be better but it does not vary from city to highway much. I was hoping for 38-32 mpg on highway trips. I am considering changing to synthetic oil 20-50 and checking fuel filters and glow plugs ohms ratings.<br> I have all service records from new and purchased car from orginal owner through a 3rd party.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Fuel Milage

I have an '85 300D-T. I get around 24-26MPG. I have gotten 34MPG once when I was on the Outer Banks, NC. It really depends on how fast you go. My normal Interstate speed is a consistant 85-90MPH and get 25MPG. That works for me!

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.