1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Just last week, I had my w126 tank drain because the hose between the damper and the pump rotted. The dealer a mile from my house sold me about 8” of hose for $22, after trying to charge $15+ for ~4-6 inches or ~$31 for the 8”. I wanted it immediately, so I paid, but for not much more, you should be able to get a whole meter of the hose and make a lot of forum members happy by sending them the fee inches they need.

When I went to cut the hose, I honestly had a hard time cutting it with a hacksaw. A razor blade seemed hopeless (maybe just dull). I tried to cut it short enough so I could maybe do two more cars with the leftover I’ve got. It’s just plain old hose. No special fittings.

I guess hopefully your mechanic would be able to find some fuel hose for you.

I’ve actually cut the crimping metal off a fuel hose and just fit fuel hose on the remaining barbed fitting. Again, your mechanic should be able to handle that. In my case, I did it because I wasn’t able to get the hose end off what it was connected to, maybe it was the fuel line to the front of the car on my 1978 450slc 5.0 convertible. If the hose disconnected easily, it would have been easier to buy the whole hose setup.

If you have a similar setup to me, I would think that the filter to line is the hose you’d need. Older cars go: tank strainer, damper cage, fuel pump, filter, hard line to front of car. In the case of my 1978 450slc 5.0, I believe I needed to replace that last hose between the filter and hard line. I cut the crimps off, chopped the hose off the barbs, and reused the barbed hose end fittings with hose clamped to them.

You really need to find out which hose is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,928 Posts
My mechanic just confirmed that I have a leak in the fuel line under the car right behind the drivers side wheel leading up to the engine. Is this the complete line that is needed? https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/3426/MBZ_3426_FULFUL_pg1.htm#item2
Let me know. Also, can anyone provide a under-carriage view of how the fuel lines run? Thanks.
The fuel pump package with all the rubber hoses is behind the passenger side wheel so if you really do mean driver's side, we may be talking about a hard line that has failed.

Is it possible your mechanic meant passenger side?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Pretty good chance it's one of the rubber lines up top in the back left corner (US driver's side) of the engine bay, and it's just traveling down the hard line and dripping near the front left tire. If that's the case, just the rubber part of the line can be replaced. It's 7.5mm ID, and I think you can use either 12.5 or 13.5 OD – the Cohline 7.5x13.5mm 10 bar rated hose I see on Pelican parts is what I'd pick. Good advice from Fonzi there; what I'd suggest to cut the line is a sharp blade and jaw tubing cutter. I'm plumbing my house, so I have a PEX cutter; that gives a nice clean cut and should take care of anything that's not metal. Make sure to use fuel injection hose clamps too.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'd have all your fuel lines checked over if they haven't been replaced. I just went through my fuel package to fix an intermittent leak, and at least one of the pressure hoses – I think the source of the leak – was ready to rupture. I think all those hoses were original. You're less likely to get a fire from a leak back there than the lines under the hood (those had been done by the PO in my case), but you have the potential to leak a lot of fuel and really spark a conflagration! It's probably $200 in parts and a couple hours labor to do it all – some of the cheapest insurance you can get.

·
3,907 Posts
My mechanic just confirmed that I have a leak in the fuel line under the car right behind the drivers side wheel leading up to the engine. Is this the complete line that is needed? https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/3426/MBZ_3426_FULFUL_pg1.htm#item2
Let me know. Also, can anyone provide a under-carriage view of how the fuel lines run? Thanks.
Hi there Prochambers,

I wasn't 100% clear whether we were at the front or rear of your car..

The fuel pump package is at the right rear as has been mentioned above.. and the driver's side can suggest a hard line too..

As requested, here are some images from under the car for you that show fuel feed, fuel return & tank venting lines all plumbed together down the left side of the car. On your car, up front access should be easier as yours does not have left side exhaust & heat shield in the way.

Good luck

MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Just buy he best hose you can. Take old ones off and find local hydraulic shop. It will be much less than factory. But just as good. A once and done solution. Here's a 5 yr old cohline (left) and 25 yr MB on right from my wagon.
Cohline was fcp, with lifetime warranty but who want to change out lines every couple years?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just last week, I had my w126 tank drain because the hose between the damper and the pump rotted. The dealer a mile from my house sold me about 8” of hose for $22, after trying to charge $15+ for ~4-6 inches or ~$31 for the 8”. I wanted it immediately, so I paid, but for not much more, you should be able to get a whole meter of the hose and make a lot of forum members happy by sending them the fee inches they need.

When I went to cut the hose, I honestly had a hard time cutting it with a hacksaw. A razor blade seemed hopeless (maybe just dull). I tried to cut it short enough so I could maybe do two more cars with the leftover I’ve got. It’s just plain old hose. No special fittings.

I guess hopefully your mechanic would be able to find some fuel hose for you.

I’ve actually cut the crimping metal off a fuel hose and just fit fuel hose on the remaining barbed fitting. Again, your mechanic should be able to handle that. In my case, I did it because I wasn’t able to get the hose end off what it was connected to, maybe it was the fuel line to the front of the car on my 1978 450slc 5.0 convertible. If the hose disconnected easily, it would have been easier to buy the whole hose setup.

If you have a similar setup to me, I would think that the filter to line is the hose you’d need. Older cars go: tank strainer, damper cage, fuel pump, filter, hard line to front of car. In the case of my 1978 450slc 5.0, I believe I needed to replace that last hose between the filter and hard line. I cut the crimps off, chopped the hose off the barbs, and reused the barbed hose end fittings with hose clamped to them.

You really need to find out which hose is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we have found some lines. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuel pump package with all the rubber hoses is behind the passenger side wheel so if you really do mean driver's side, we may be talking about a hard line that has failed.

Is it possible your mechanic meant passenger side?
We both witnessed the fuel leaking from the driver's side front. I immediately shut the car back off. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty good chance it's one of the rubber lines up top in the back left corner (US driver's side) of the engine bay, and it's just traveling down the hard line and dripping near the front left tire. If that's the case, just the rubber part of the line can be replaced. It's 7.5mm ID, and I think you can use either 12.5 or 13.5 OD – the Cohline 7.5x13.5mm 10 bar rated hose I see on Pelican parts is what I'd pick. Good advice from Fonzi there; what I'd suggest to cut the line is a sharp blade and jaw tubing cutter. I'm plumbing my house, so I have a PEX cutter; that gives a nice clean cut and should take care of anything that's not metal. Make sure to use fuel injection hose clamps too.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'd have all your fuel lines checked over if they haven't been replaced. I just went through my fuel package to fix an intermittent leak, and at least one of the pressure hoses – I think the source of the leak – was ready to rupture. I think all those hoses were original. You're less likely to get a fire from a leak back there than the lines under the hood (those had been done by the PO in my case), but you have the potential to leak a lot of fuel and really spark a conflagration! It's probably $200 in parts and a couple hours labor to do it all – some of the cheapest insurance you can get.
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there Prochambers,

I wasn't 100% clear whether we were at the front or rear of your car..

The fuel pump package is at the right rear as has been mentioned above.. and the driver's side can suggest a hard line too..

As requested, here are some images from under the car for you that show fuel feed, fuel return & tank venting lines all plumbed together down the left side of the car. On your car, up front access should be easier as yours does not have left side exhaust & heat shield in the way.

Good luck

MBL
We both witnessed the fuel leaking from the driver's side front. I immediately shut the car back off. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just buy he best hose you can. Take old ones off and find local hydraulic shop. It will be much less than factory. But just as good. A once and done solution. Here's a 5 yr old cohline (left) and 25 yr MB on right from my wagon.
Cohline was fcp, with lifetime warranty but who want to change out lines every couple years?
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Prochambers

I am a little confused as to whether the leak is from your hard fuel lines or from the fuel hoses that go from the fuel distributor under the air cleaner and into the barbed hard line on the driver front side. If the latter then your choices are to build your own fuel lines, fabricatethem at a hydraulic shop or try and find MB original replacements.

I was going to do the latter and then got nervous about not knowing how long they might have been on some dealer's shelf, so my mechanic and I have opted for having our local hydraulic shop make them, which it has done before. A recent previous thread treated this subject at great length and if you have an hour to spare you might want to look at it: feed the following into the google custom search spot at the top of the page "2355513-replacing-permanent-fuel-lines." Let us know what you eventually do

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If you need one of the steel to rubber lines. I have one . MB part was used for ~3k miles on dad's 86 sec. I don't remember part # but it's the longer one. Pm if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mechanic told me that one of the hard lines has a crack in it and he is going to change both of the lines just to play it safe. Thanks for all of you who chimed in. Take care!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Prochambers
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing