Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

Pulled into my garage the other night and fuel was leaking in generous amounts from around my driver side rear tire. For a couple of days now it would take two cranks to start the beast. Its been in a hundred plus heat for so long I thought maybe it was the cooling weather making it hard to start. Not sure what it could be, my first guess was the fuel pump but after reading he posts I read that the fuel filter is back there as well. Any suggestions on what it could be?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
Expedience in this matter will serve you best. One of the plastic lines attached to the fuel filter has broken or become disconnected.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,129 Posts
It is one of the possibilities. The lines and/or their connections may also be damaged as
43 has suggested.

If it is the original filter you will want to change it at this point anyway and if it is original
then the new style filter will require the upgraded fuel lines.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel leak

The rubber hose connected to the pressure chamber ventilation connection tore, no clamp was present, will will replace and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,718 Posts
The rubber hose connected to the pressure chamber ventilation connection tore, no clamp was present, will will replace and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks
There should not be any fuel present in that area unless diaphragm in fuel pressure regulator has ruptured. You need to replace fuel filter.

·
Purple Moderator
22,129 Posts
The new design filters have an improved pressure regulator on the filter end if I recall
correctly. Witkek is right on the money, there should be no fuel in that area. Still fix the
torn hose, but I really think a filter is in your near future.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,718 Posts
Problem with fixing vent line at the filter is that now fuel will leak into the charcoal canister and flood it. Charcoal canister is part of the fuel tank. 200 dollar fix will quickly turn into 2000 dollar fix.

·
Purple Moderator
22,129 Posts
I agree that the filter should be done first. I do agree getting the charcoal wet with
fuel is not worth it. I would park it until the new filter is installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts