Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced fuel pump on 2006 ML500. Since replacing, I can't fill my fuel tank more than half full or it begins leaking fuel. It is leaking near the top of the tank near the fuel pump ring which secures the pump. I used the proper tool to tighten the ring. I find it strange that it is leaking out the top of my tank and the tank is only half full. Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue. Make sure the seal is correct before tightening.
Thanks for your feedback......I bet I have taken the ring off 4 times and tightened it. The top is aligned correctly and there is a new gasket and new ring but it continues to leak. I was baffled that it leaks on only half a tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was traveling at the time and was in an emergency situation to find a replacement pump. I had to purchase the pump from an Autozone store. It was delivered overnight. Unfortunately, I have no idea who the supplier was.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,043 Posts
So did
Just replaced fuel pump on 2006 ML500. Since replacing, I can't fill my fuel tank more than half full or it begins leaking fuel. It is leaking near the top of the tank near the fuel pump ring which secures the pump. I used the proper tool to tighten the ring. I find it strange that it is leaking out the top of my tank and the tank is only half full. Any suggestions please.
It has to be the locking nut and or the seal. Did you follow the PDF procedures?

Did the pump include a new locking nut & seal? Did you torque it tto 74 ft. lbs.?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So did

It has to be the locking nut and or the seal. Did you follow the PDF procedures?

Did the pump include a new locking nut & seal? Did you torque it tto 74 ft. lbs.?
I didn't have access to any directions and using only my mechanical ability and common sense. The pump didn't come with nut or gasket. I had to order it separate a few days later. The kit contained both rings and gasket. As for the recommended torque, I had no knowledge of that. I greatly appreciate the PDF. Frustrating as hell....I will attempt again tomorrow to alleviate the problem. Many thanks again!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,043 Posts
Make sure that the nut is not cross threaded. If it is it will ruin the nut and the pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure that the nut is not cross threaded. If it is it will ruin the nut and the pump.
Yes, I will inspect it tomorrow. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and make sure I didn't cross thread it. I need to inspect the thread ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I disassembled the rings and did notice one of the tabs on the side was not dully seated in its notch. After re-installing both rings I refueled and I thought the problem was solved because I exceeded half tank level and no signs of leak. However, when I continued to fill the tank, it began leaking again. I don't have a torque wrench but may need to invest in one. I'm guessing it's still not tight enough. Fearful of damaging the rings but will try to tighten a bit more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I have been busier than a one-legged man in a kicking contest. Update on my fuel leak....got it fixed. I got a shower curtain rod that was telescopic. Used it to hold the pump sending unit down which took force off the thread ring as I tightened it. Once I got it snug, I used my torque wrench to lock it down. Problem solved.....Thanks again for your assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts