Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so sunday, changed the fuel filter and car ran better, and starts up immediately now (had long cranking issue) when i changed the fuel filter, i matched it accordingly, and changed hoses one by one (TANK hose to TANK hose, then PUMP to PUMP, etc one at a time, treating it like an old school distriubutor)

all day sunday, monday, tuesday no prob. no smells, no funky idle, immediate starting, power has been great etc. I think back, and recall tuesday i did notice a little hiccup at one point, kinda random......but no issues otherwise.

this morning, on my way to work, noticed dead spots in the gas pedal, and the car was chugging a bit then it was fine. i get to work and smell gas, but notice no leak, or wet spot on the cover for the pump/filter.

first assumption, may a clamp was a bit loose. i come back 9 hours later, see no gas, smell mostly all gone, i drive home. 3/4 way home, started noticing a loss of power.

I park the car, jack it up, notice the cover was a little wet. i remove it, see wet on the hose (center hose on back of the filter) and i tightned it up more, it wasnt really that loose, but did take more to tighten it.

I get back in the car, start it up, drive....power was fine again, but then it started sputtering at stop lights, then noticed loss of power again, and this time found gas POURING out the back of the car (see pics)

thoughts? im gonna take covers off tomorrow or friday, but wow, this was pretty random, is it possible the fuel filter internally failed???

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so here is the leak, that pipe/hose/line goes from there to the front of the vehicle

i dont think gas should be pouring out of this should it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,431 Posts
Looks like either the hose clamp isn't on tight enough, or that hose was already at the end of its serviceable life. You did change that hose, right?

Waitasec...looking at "fuel5.jpg"...I'm wondering, do you actually have the hose clamp over the part of the hose that goes on the nipple? It looks like it might not be far enough, from the pictures.

·
Registered
2005 S600
823 Posts
That’s some crusty old looking hose. Start with new hose and new clamps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not the clamp thats the problem it only leaks under certain situations, and the canister is dripping and leaking gas without that hose on.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,431 Posts
its not the clamp thats the problem it only leaks under certain situations, and the canister is dripping and leaking gas without that hose on.
Forgive me, but I would expect it to drip and leak gas without the hose on. That's kind of the point of having the hose, isn't it? :)

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,447 Posts
Forgive me, but I would expect it to drip and leak gas without the hose on. That's kind of the point of having the hose, isn't it? :)
There should not be any gasoline in liquid form in that area. charcoal canister is designed to contain release of vapor. Incorrectly working purge system or habitual topping off then tank will turn charcoal granulate into solid brick. Never ending CEL with fault P0455 follows. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts