Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....i havent posted much here but have sure gotten alot of other answers i needed here in the forums from others.....i got an 89, 300e, with a couple issues i have been noticing...and would like some directioin to go as far as things i can do myself before sending it in for servicing....i just changed the fuel filter which in itself was way more work than i expected but i did notice a difference in the sputtering but it still does it a little....what else should i look to check or replace....im just not in a position financially to take it to a reputable mechanic for servicing....

1. Seems like im using way more fuel than im use to
2. a bit of a lag and some sputtering with accellerating from stop....
3. I seem to smell fuel at times......

·
Registered
16,753 Posts
We're going to need a bit more info like how many miles on the car, service history, etc. Also update your profile to reflect this.

"Seems like im using way more fuel than im use to" Is this a guess or do you have some evidence of this and what are you comparing this to, another identical W124 or a different car altogether???

"I seem to smell fuel at times...... " Just a quick guess, but did you use new copper crush washers when you installed the new fuel filter??? If not, this would be the first place to look. Also check for cracked/swollen/weeping fuel lines and also check the around the injectors for wet spots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
250,000 appx....the mpg .....well the odometer not working so hard to verify, but it just seems like I wasnt paying as much to get from home to work every day..i would guesstimate around 15mpg and 99% of that is on the highway at 70mph , I take it to a decent mechanic no dealer mechanic thats for sure...but he seems to get the job done that has replaced headgasget, cooling system, transmission...all other basics like brakes, etc....without any further issues....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts