Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took all 8 injectors out today, soaked them in brake cleaner and used compressed air to blow through them and all 8 seemed to have a perfect spray pattern, is there any reason to replace them? It seems they are original or could have been replaced along the way, part # is 0437502010 on them, doing a google search shows they are original MB injectors.

Question: would there be any reason to get new ones if the spray pattern on these look good? Car has 167,000 miles on it.

BTW, the engine runs fine, just trying to do all the necessary maintenance before I take it in and have the air/fuel mixture set correctly.

New items:

Plugs,Plug wires, distributor rebuild, distributor cap, coil, ballast resistors, Ignition Control Unit, Green wire from distributor to ICU, water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, cleaned AAV, cleaned cold start injector, fuel pump, fuel accumulator, fuel filter, all relays, etc....

Thanks

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

The K-Jet injector nozzles are basically sprinkler heads, with not a lot to go wrong. Typically the seals and holders are the weak point. Reusing those old pieces is not recommended.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The K-Jet injector nozzles are basically sprinkler heads, with not a lot to go wrong. Typically the seals and holders are the weak point. Reusing those old pieces is not recommended.
Thanks for the response, wasn't sure if the inside of these had a spring that perhaps would weaken over time causing leaking or mis-spraying as these sit at the top of the "Very Hot Point" of the engine.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,478 Posts
One indication of original injectors. OE are steel. Replacements are brass.
Doing this one the 280 right now and pulled a couple from the parts car just to see how it was done. First time on a K-Jet so I take it slow.
New seals. The new plastic holders came with the O-Ring.

They open and spray but do they open at the correct pressure?

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One indication of original injectors. OE are steel. Replacements are brass.
Doing this one the 280 right now and pulled a couple from the parts car just to see how it was done. First time on a K-Jet so I take it slow.
New seals. The new plastic holders came with the O-Ring.

Great point.

Mine are steel, guess I'll be replacing them just to be on the safe side, 167,000 miles on injectors seems like a lot.

Thanks guys

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,478 Posts
Rock Auto had the least expensive that I found. Did not check everywhere. Bought the plastic holders and seals from AH AZ.

·
Registered
560SL
33 Posts
Did you find the new brass injectors as good quality as the old units? Mine seem to preform fine but was going to replace them along with plug wires for maintain everything.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,025 Posts
I replaced my original 40 year old / 68k miles with Bosch brass last year, done a 1k miles since and no bother, no leaks or anything - the old lady fires up every time and didn't miss a beat on any of the 8 cylinders :D

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,404 Posts
Brass are fine. I replaced mine and they've been great ever since.

Forum sponsors rmeuropean.com had my injectors for 380sl super cheap like 24$ a pop. Worth checking.

·
Registered
1984 500 SL
26 Posts
I'm doing this procedure today, and I can't get the new plastic holders into the inlet all the way. The old ones that are still seated sit about a 1/4" lower than the first new one I tried to install, but I'm afraid to apply too much force to seat it. Is there a trick to this? I used silicone lubricant but that doesn't help. I'm attaching some pictures of the old and new.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,025 Posts
They're a tight bunch to get in alright. I used a wooden dowel and a rubber melet to gently tap them into place, right or wrong you will need to use some force to drive them all the way in.

·
Registered
1984 500 SL
26 Posts
Okay, knowing that I shouldn't be afraid to bang 'em in, I used a plastic spark plug socket and a hammer to get it seated. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts