Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
58 Posts
I have the same question but just about every discussion on it doesn't have a conclusion.
While we know fuel system cleaner additives won't do any damage, anyone here experienced a tangible improvement after using such?

The seller from which I'm buying CRC MAF cleaner also has CRC 1-Tank Power Renew which looks like a nice treat for the car.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
63 Posts
But...all cars since the late 70s have had cats fitted, unless I'm mistaken?
Let's cut to the bone. If you have over 200,000 miles (300,000+ km) and the injectors have not been ultrasonically cleaned/serviced, there is no fuel additive on this Planet that will restore the spray pattern.

If you have old gas (in the US, we have gasohol = a mixture of old-fashioned gasoline, ethanol and various additives and stabilizers, not sure about Malaysia) putting a can of "petroleum distillates" (no kidding, this is on the label of all cleaner or fuel additive products) will not hurt and will help you burn through the old gas more easily.

I semi-regularly use Techron on my cars -- perhaps twice per year. It doesn't hurt and probably doesn't help, but makes me feel good (classic Placebo effect :)))

PS Look up some videos on Seafoam. Even with this much smoke, there is nothing in the product to damage the cat. converters. The noble metals deposited on the substrate will only be "poisoned" by sulfur-contained material that finds its way in the exhaust stream.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,728 Posts
Back in the mid-late 80s, thru early 90s, before the EPA mandated additional detergents in all gasoline sold in the US specifically to clean injectors, car manufacturers were recommending the use of Techron additive. There were real issues with fuel deposits 9n injectors and intake valves before the mandate. After the EPA mandate, the recommendations stopped. If you use TopTier gasolines, such as sold by Costco and other name brand stations, you get an even better additive package to keep things clean.

So Techron won't hurt, but it is unlikely to help much especially if you use TopTier gas.

What gasoline quality and detergent requirements are like in other countries, I don't have a clue.

Jon

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
58 Posts
It's interesting you guys mention Techron; while none of the usual US pump brands are found here, it rings a bell because I only exclusively feed the old barge Caltex RON95 which has always been marketed as having Techron in it. How much (ppm)? Nobody knows, but it is what it is.

I'll check with my workshop tomorrow if they have that fancy injector cleaning/testing apparatus and how much it'll cost. For those who have done it, did it make a big difference and how much were you charged?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts