Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a very inelegant answer that works every time I fill up my newly purchased, used 92 sl.

The car is very sensitive to the slope of the driveway at the gas pumps.

I found that most areas are sloped to the right here in the us, and with the filler on the right fender if you pull in with that side on the downhill slope, you can never get the tank full.

The shops here all have islands with two sided pumps. Instead of pulling to the left of the island and filling up, drive through and reverse your track and pull through the other direction, on the downhill side of the island (so your filler pipe is of course near to the pump) and see what happens.

Chuck

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Mine never fills all the way when the car is pointed (even slightly) uphill, but fills a l...

Mine never fills all the way when the car is pointed (even slightly) uphill, but fills a little bit over full (by the guage, not by gushing gasoline) when pointed slightly downhill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gas tank fill level

found that out too, but my sl is more sensitive to the left or right slope of the driveway. here in las vegas we have a pile of large stations with multiple pumps and they try to get everyone to face one direction. invariably it seems that if i follow the herd and enter in the proper direction, the right side of my car (side with filler pipe) is lower than the left side of the car and i never get full tank readings. but if I go against traffic and pull in the side reserved for drivers with filler pipes on the left, my filler pipe is on the upper side of the slope and I always get full readings and no sloshing over or anything.

I know this sounds strange, but at least I know I'm not going to be putting money into anything that's not broken, now that the warranty is gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts