Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove home one night with 3/4 full tank showing on my fuel gauge. ML350 stalls at lights. Engine turn over but didn't start. Had to tow it all the way home. Finally i added 20 liters of gas and it started right up. I'm guessing it is the fuel sender sensor.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
463 Posts
My 2008 ML320 CDI also has fuel gauge issues. It's not as drastic as yours, but my gauge is usually off by a good 20 liters. Therefore, when it shows 1/4 left, you're really dry in fact.

I've been trying to get this fixed with my service rep at the dealer and so far nothing has fixed it. The dealer has had to contact some engineers in Germany several times and next week I'm giving them the ML to try to replace yet another part. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems the fuel gauge was correct. I've top off the tank at the pump today and only 10 liters went in which states the gauge is correct. Whenever it reaches 3/4 full the car stalls and dies. Logically it seems like the pump siphon location had shifted or raised higher in tank. Very weird problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read on another forum that the W163 models had a lot of Fuel tank level sensor problem. I wonder if my W164 has similar sensor malfunction. If anyone have an idea please let advice Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
463 Posts
I've read on another forum that the W163 models had a lot of Fuel tank level sensor problem. I wonder if my W164 has similar sensor malfunction. If anyone have an idea please let advice Thanks.
Yes that is true. Before this 2008 ML320 CDI I had a 2004 ML500 and that car had to visit the dealer several times before we got the fuel gauge fixed. But the problem on the W163 was just general inaccuracy of the gauge. It would sometimes show less fuel than you have, or sometimes more. It would change even as you were driving. On the other hand with the W164 the gauge seems to be systematically showing more fuel than you really have (a dangerous thing).

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
It really is a sad thing that when every car manufacturer in the world figured out how to make an accurate fuel gauge except the mercedes benz. I had the same inaccuracy problems when I had my 01 E320 and now with my ML350.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my problem is very unique from all the others i've read. My engine stalls and dies at 3/4 full tank mark, but runs fine anything above 3/4 to full tank. Does anyone know besides the fuel sender and fuel pump what other parts are located in the fuel tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ML 320 CDI (W164) has a saddle tank design fuel tank. Below a certain level, the fuel from the driver side compartment is transfered by a portion of the diverted return fuel by way of a venturi jet pump. That fuel when go to the right side compartment by way of a plastic hose inside the fuel tank crossing over from left to right. Then the electric pump can use that fuel. If the electric pump becomes weak, only able to deliver fuel to the engine high pressure pump and not delivery sufficient volume and pressure to operate the jet pump, you can wind up with a large amount of fuel that is unusable in that left tank. Engine will stall with 1/4 to a 1/3 of a tank level showing on the fuel gauge. Another problem to look for would be a plugged jet pump. If the fuel pump is grinding itself up, small particles may circulate back to the jet pump plugging it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts