Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 CLK 320 Cabriole
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled my '99 CLK320 Cabriolet out of winter storage this week, everything seemed to be working fine, except for the fuel gauge.

Last fall, I filled up the tank in preparation for the winter-time storage and the gauge accurately reported a full tank of gas. When I hooked the battery back up this week, everything in the car worked fine, except the fuel gauge indicated "EMPTY", but the fuel warning light was NOT lit up, despite the indicator pointing to empty.

Any thoughts on this type of problem after 5 months of storage?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2001 430 Orion Blue
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2001 CLK 430. I filled the car up with gas and the gauge ...

I had the same problem with my 2001 CLK 430. I filled the car up with gas and the gauge and the computer read zero. Then the gauge would suddenly read full and so would the computer. I made sure the gas cap was on right but it did not seem to make a difference. I'm going to fill the car up tomorrow even though the gauge reads 3/4. I don't trust the gauge now. My car has been driven on the weekends only.

·
Registered
CLK 55
73 Posts
Re: I had the same problem with my 2001 CLK 430. I filled the car up with gas and the gauge

I had the same problem with my 2001 CLK 430. I filled the car up with gas and the gauge and the computer read zero. Then the gauge would suddenly read full and so would the computer. I made sure the gas cap was on right but it did not seem to make a difference. I'm going to fill the car up tomorrow even though the gauge reads 3/4. I don't trust the gauge now. My car has been driven on the weekends only.
I suggest you guys go to the dealer...i just had my instrument cluster replaced for the same problem...supposedly the sensors are going bad due to MTBE in the gas..or some bullshit like that. Bottomline is it is a warranty item...so get it switched. good luck.[:D]

·
Registered
CLK 55
73 Posts
Re: I had the same problem with my 2001 CLK 430. I filled the car up with gas and the gauge

I suggest you guys go to the dealer...i just had my instrument cluster replaced for the same problem...supposedly the sensors are going bad due to MTBE in the gas..or some bullshit like that. Bottomline it is a warranty item...so get it switched. good luck.[:D]

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also had a similar problem and a bad fuel sending unit was the culprit. This is a very c...

I also had a similar problem and a bad fuel sending unit was the culprit. This is a very common problem on CLK's (especially earlier production years) and will definitely be covered under warrany.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts