Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm having a problem getting my fuel flap to release. Is there a manual release located somewhere in the trunk?

As for the issue, I am able to lock/unlock my doors and the trunk so I doubt it is my pump. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem?

·
Registered
03 SL500
94 Posts
Hey all, I'm having a problem getting my fuel flap to release. Is there a manual release located somewhere in the trunk?

As for the issue, I am able to lock/unlock my doors and the trunk so I doubt it is my pump. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem?
Just push in on the rear part of the flap and it will pop open. Just make sure the car doors are unlocked.

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
705 Posts
Fuel door emergency release button/handle

My Owner's Manual also describes an emergency release button/handle for this flap located in the trunk, behind the right side trim. Turn this clockwise, and a locked flap will be released.

Most Benz have this feature but often simply bending the trim back to get at it is not enough, the trim has to be removed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm being blind, but once I lift up the trunk cover, is the release supposed to be on the right side, or do I have to remove the whole trunk cover to reach the release? Has anyone ever actually seen/used the release before?

Also, like I said in my first post, my pse pump seems to be functioning fine. Does anyone know what may be causing the problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
2006 SL500 open gas cap door

I can't open my gas tank door on my 2006 SL500, is there a way to open manually ...my rear pump may be dead. thanks

·
Registered
2003 SL55
479 Posts
should be a manual release in the boot up behind where the fuel cap is.......may have to remove some of the lining pieces to get to easily.......

·
Registered
2008 SL550R
125 Posts
Opening a locked fuel flap door 2008 SL550

So I had happen to me what a lot of us have(2008 SL550), failure in the power locking system causing no-lock on some things (doors) and no unlock on others (glove box, center armrest, rear seat compartments and the dreaded gas cap. Others have dealt pretty well with the PSE failure issue so I will only deal with the gas cap unlock. I called 3 dealers only one gave me good advice, one actually suggested that I jam a screwdriver behind the fuel door and pop it. OK open the trunk on the right side filler side way up front look at the finished panel on the side of the trunk. Way up there near the pivots for the trunk you will see one push pin upholsterey pin. Use a flat blade screwdriver or an upholsterey tool and get under the center pin and pop it out work the paneling out front to back just a little further than the filler area. Once you get a sense for the filler look for a small 4-6” black foam pad and work it out you will see a round black cylinder against the fender this is the vacuum device to latch the gas cap door you should be able to see or feel a pin about 2”long pull towards you it moves easy and the door opens and will close and latch flush just like it should. The pin is not visible in my pic it is just out of sight under the fender lip. Start to finish 5minutes and I went slowly much better than jamming a screwdriver in the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
I was having a similar issue for the last 2 years. I haven't been driving the car much. My central locking was working, but not unlocking the fuel door. I found mention of this issue on a UK MB site. The easy fix is to spray the pin with lube (WD-40). Open the fuel door, depress the latch that holds the door shut, lock the car, and you will see the metal pin move to the locked position. Spray the pin with the lube of your choice and actuate the locks a few times. After 3 - 4 lock/unlocks the pin began to move smoothly. Release the latch with a screw driver so it will accept closing of the fuel door and you should be good to go. Now it locks and unlocks with the remote. I was having to go into the trunk every time I gassed up.

-Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts