Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fuel filter on my '99 ML320 this morning. Everything seemed to go well enough (there isn't much room under there), but there is about about a 1/4" gap between the top connector for the fuel feed line and the bottom on the nipple on the filter. I started the engine and I didn't see any leaks, but the gap has me a bit worried. Is this normal, or should I be concerned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
75 Posts
I was going to check my filter tomorrow on my 98 ML320. Did you have to jack it up and remove the wheel well or could you do it through the access hole under the seat? The Mercedes instructions don't mention anything about having to jack it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've concluded that the top connector must be okay. I "upgraded" to the new, larger filter, and new fuel line so I had to remove the seat, lift the carpet, and remove the access cover. I also had to jack up the car and remove the wheel and the splash shield to get at the filter. It would NOT be possible to replace the filter on my '99 ML320 through the top access hole. I think the filter could be replaced from the wheel well (without using the access hole), but I was glad to have access to both sides. BTW, I bought the special Mercedes pliers to remove the clamps and I'm glad I did.

The worst part of the job for me was putting the bench seat back!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
75 Posts
I "upgraded" mine today and it was not too bad of a job. You do have to take off the rear wheel/wheel well to access the filter. I was able to get the old connectors off with my fingers. I did have to get a torx socket set (Sears, $40) to lift the rear sets and a heat gun to get the lid off. Big increase in power! I guess the old filter would probably have a bit of buildup after 80K miles.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
can someone writeup instructions on how to change the fuel filter?

my 98 ML has 117K and have been putting off replacing the filter this later this Summer

thanks

aa

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Mateo320 said:
can someone writeup instructions on how to change the fuel filter?

my 98 ML has 117K and have been putting off replacing the filter this later this Summer

thanks

aa
Plenty of information here Wolfgang's ML Page: Bad Gas :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts