Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I changed the fuel filter today. It takes about 15 minutes to change the filter, and is very easy. But it took me an additional 30 minutes to find the filter, since there seem to be no service manuals available for the W140. My BMW has the filter in the front, so I was looking in the wrong place initially. So to spare anyone else from having to locate the w140 fuel filter, I thought I'd post some pics of the procedure.

What you need:
--------------
10mm socket with 6" extension bar.
Philips screwdriver
Jack and jack stand
Fuel Filter ($19usd at a local parts store, made by Mann, Knecht, or Bosch)

Steps:
------

The fuel filter is located in a plastic rectangular housing, which is under the car next to the Passenger Rear wheel. See pic 1 and pic 2 for location.

1) Jack the rear of the car. If you have a hydraulic jack, you can lift it at the Differential. I lifted it at the Passenger Rear wheel jackpoint, and removed the rear wheel for better access. Put one or two jackstands under the car for saftey.

2) Remove the black rectangular housing. There are 3 10mm plastic nuts holding it in. One of the nuts will require an extension bar to reach it (see pic3)

3) Loosen screws on hose clamps, and remove screw on filter holder. (see pic 4)

4) Pull off the hoses, pull out the old filter, slide in the new filter (make sure its in the correct direction!), and push the hoses back in. Some gas will spill, but not much. The hoses are short, and don't contain very much gas.

5) Put everything back together.

Cheers,
Rainmaker

Attachments

·
Registered
S320 300D 300E C230
92 Posts
Wow! Thanks Rainmaker! Not only did you inform me where the fuel filter was located but you also helped me locate my fuel pump. I believe my car needs a new fuel filter soon. Does anyone know when a car is due for one? Any signs for telling if the filter is dead clogged?

cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Rainmaker You made it very easy for every one to locate and change the fuel filter .
you sequence and details was perfect.[8D]

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Rainmaker, this is great, thanks for the pics too. I remember you had an accident back last nov, is your car all fixed up? I had one too, and mine is all set. Just that i have weak ball joints that need fixing (makes a hell of sqeeqing noise). Have you ever fixed ball joints?

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
Rainmaker, you are the MAN!

If everybody posted stuff like this, we wouldn't have a need for any W140 manuals [:)]

You should make your own manual and sell them to everyone on this board [:)]

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
34 Posts
2 additional question:
1). What symptom is about to change fuel filter or pump?
2). When change fuel pump, will a lot of gas come out? Do I need a clamp to hold the line?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys:

///s320: I've fixed some of my car so far. I found a used rear bumper for $150usd on Ebay, and i've already installed it. The bumper is the wrong color, so I still need to use stripper/sanding to remove the original paint, and will repaint it soon. I replaced the right-side mirror with a used W210 E-class mirror. I've banged some of the dent out. I still have to smooth the damage with filler, and I borrowed a sprayer from a friend to repaint it.

I haven't done any suspension stuff on my W140 yet, but I did replace the suspension bushings on my BMW, using a press-tool I borrowed from Autozone.

mbs420: About replacing the fuel filter, i noticed the throttle was a bit sluggish. I've heard that some filters have a "bypass" feature, where when they're clogged they will bypass the unfiltered fuel to the engine. The bypass presumably kicks in when you step on the gas enough to surpass the thru-put of the dirty filter, so that might have been the cause of the hesitation in my car's acceleration.

When changing the fuel filter, a little gas will spill. I pulled one hose at a time, and quickly plugged it with my thumb. Then I threw on the new filter right away. So the spillage was minimal.

When changing the fuel pump, it looks like one side goes straight to the gas tank, so it might pour indefinitely. I'd just plug it with my thumb immediately, and stick the hose onto the new pump as soon as possible. Then the spillage should be minimal.

Cheers,
Rainmaker

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
Wow! You only paid $150US for a used rear bumper?! You got an awesome deal there! Wish I could have found one that cheap when I needed a bumper. I paid $800CAN ($570US) for mine from a wrecker . . .

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Thanks for the great post. I tried to replace the fuel filter on my car. Now the MB dealership sold me 2 filters of different sizes, as they said the car could pottentially use either type. Both have threaded nozzles on them. The filter currently on my car looks like yours, a direct nozzle with a tapered end on which the rubber tube simply slides over. I got 2 filters from Advance auto as well, and they are the same as what the dealer provided. There are no numbers on my current filter, and I hate to take it off, if I cannot find a quick replacement. Could someone please provide me with a make and part number for this filter for a S420? I am assuming they are the same for all S classes. Am I correct? Thanks.
Also which local parts store did you buy it? The MB stealership sold me the filters for $38, and $46. They are going back.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
On my 92 sel it was 002-477-06-01, the 140 cd is available, $170 covers all from 92 to 99. It is not the greatest but very, very good. I guess I am spoiled using MB paper manuals, they were good, and they copied them to CD.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
My thanks for this post as well! Makes a "not-exactly-a-mechanic" type like myself, feel empowered, knowing EXACTLY what needs to be done, then doing it.

Earlier this month, my wiper motor on my W201 died, and the W201 forum came through with flying colors. My back was against the wall, as I had one abnormally high 70 degree[:0] day in January between storms to get it done. Thank goodness for the forum, (and my mechanic, who gave me a few verbal pointers as well). I, too shall try to start photo documenting procedures as well. Thanks again, Rainmaker!

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Well, I finally did the fuel filter change. I got a Spanish made Bosch part (Thanks Peter) for $42 from the stealership. I did this procedure because my S420 starts up normally, then in 10 mins starts spluttering. If I rev it hard, it dies. Also the temps start going up, as if it is running very lean. I read in several posts that this may be caused by fuel starvation from a clogged filter. I changed the filter to no avail. The problem still persists. However, my original filter was made in November 1994, and needed replacement anyway. I am begining to think it is a sensor going bad. Can anyone guess which one? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
It's Fixed!!!!

I changed the fuel filter yesterday, but it was NOT running all that much better immediately afterward. This morning I went and got 2 bottles of Chevron Fuel system cleaner, and 2 bottles of water remover. I think the combination of the fuel filter and chemical went to work right after I held the rpms at 3,000 for a minute to accelerate the heat buildup. Amazingly, the spluttering and hesitation stopped!!! The MB is running, well, like my Lexus!!!!
I urge anyone who has not performed this procedure to do it. Thanks again Rainmaker.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 1993 400SEL with chassis A 139223

Is it important to get a dealer fuel filter? and why

Where do we get the cheapest dealer filter?

Pls reply
Kris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts