Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Many people dont know this but there is a fuel filter in the gass tank of w116's. This is a large micron screen that traps larger particles that may be in the gas before it gets to the pre-filter and primary filter at the engine.

Most people never change this. However, several of the online mercedes parts stores sell a replacement filter. I replaced mine today. My car has 105,000 miles on it and the filter was never changed. Here is what the old filter looked like. Below that is what the new filter looks like.

This is an easy maintenance item and can be done in an hour. Make sure your tank is almost empty and then put a catch bucket under the old filer before you remove it. You will spill some diesel doing it but no big deal.

·
Registered
1997 E300 Diesel
135 Posts
I did not know that. Thank you.

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1987 300SDL, 1973 280SEL, 1995 C280
137 Posts
FYI - You don't necessarily need that special tool to remove the tank screen. I did mine with a large socket. Don't recall off the top of my head what size it is though.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
filter

If Mercedessource changes shipping in addition to the cost of the filter, you're pushing $85 or more. My MB indie charges $90 an hour. You do the math.
Hemersam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts