Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Filter Change for 2006 e320 CDI

14545 17
Has anyone here done one of these and is it a big deal to do? Where is it located?
Thanks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,481 Posts
FYI, the factory clamps are re-usable, so no need to replace them. They are click lock type and can be reclosed using a standard set of pliers. You can use a pick to unlock them and remove the hoses.

· Registered
2006 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The change went fine. I was able to reuse the clamps too. Excellent instructions.
One thing I did additionally was to bleed the filter from the valve on top. I placed rags around the filter to not make a big mess. I loosened the valve and then turned the key on. I held a towel over the filter and when diesel started coming out, I quickly closed the valve. The car started immediately.
Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,481 Posts
Pretty complicated huh? LOL!

Look at it this way, these cars had to be designed to be maintained in 3rd world countries where advanced tooling and complicated repairs cannot be performed. Routine servicing often requires at most a basic set of tools plus the occasional specialty bit ie Torx etc.

I know, I am currently in one of them countries and there are MB's all over the place!

· Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec; 2012 C250 Sedan; 2012 ML350; 2013 S350 Bluetec; 2013 GLK 350
171 Posts
Well, the experiences related by the members in this forum in replacing the CDI fuel filter certainly do not support the $231.00 the dealer quoted me today to do the job my daughter did in about 15 minutes (under my guidance).

The service adviser got kind of weird on me today after he told me it was a "difficult job" to replace the filter which is why it cost so much and I told him that my 15 year old daughter did it last month in about 15 minutes so I wasn't going to pay him more than 200 bucks for nothing. :thumbsup:

Is this a great forum or what? THANK YOU ALL! :bowdown:

· Registered
2006 E320 CDI
240 Posts
I picked up new clic clamps at the dealership. Has anyone used regular pliers to close new ones?

· Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1992 300TE, 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
368 Posts
When I replaced my fuel filter, there was a (stinky diesel) leak afterwards. Since I had a car burn up many years ago due to a leaking fuel line, this was creepy.

When checking it out, it was at the opposite end of the short fuel filter hose. It was not the end I had taken apart but rather, the end further forward on the engine. Guilty by association, I guess. Anyway, I replaced that hose clamp and it stopped leaking.

Final note. Replacing a diesel fuel filter is not a difficult job but it does require a close review.

Peter

· Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
983 Posts
Good job Peter.

One thing to keep in mind is diesel needs more than a leak to ignite.. It needs hot air as well.. Unlike gasoline that only needs a spark and oxygen at any temperature to ignite.. But checking for leaks should be a priority as the fuel goes through some extreme pressures before injection..

· Registered
2006 E320 CDI Obsidian Black
379 Posts
Easier than Easy

You are right. The service advisor may have been thinking of an '07. But it's more likely he was thinking $$$. ;)

2 weeks ago I was at the dealership with my '06 CDI and asked about replacing the fuel filter. I was quoted $166.00 before tax. :eek: He said, "it is not an easy procedure" and added, "that's $67 for the filter and $99 installation." (Sign at the service desk reads, LABOR $115.00 per 1 hour

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Found the filter at autohauz:D

Hengst Fuel Filter; With Water Separator Connection, without Sensor
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI List $53.00 Your price $25.08

also

Mann Air Filter
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI List $32.00 Your price $20.23

Mann Cabin Air Filter/Pollen Filter; With Activated Charcoal
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI List $49.50 Your price $20.23

Pretty complicated huh? LOL!

Look at it this way, these cars had to be designed to be maintained in 3rd world countries where advanced tooling and complicated repairs cannot be performed. Routine servicing often requires at most a basic set of tools plus the occasional specialty bit ie Torx etc.

I know, I am currently in one of them countries and there are MB's all over the place!

Everyone has encountered games with difficulty levels ranging from "Easy" up through several flavors of "Medium", all the way up to "I Own Your Ass" mode. A small handful, though, include one extra difficulty level. The Easier Than Easy mode, :baby bottle:where failure is simply not possible. For the most part, such levels are there to allow younger children (ages 3 to 5, mostly), your grandmother, and the hopelessly uncoordinated to play and enjoy the game as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.