Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, don't know much at all about MBs. I am considering purchasing a 1985 300TD wagon. I am curious what kind of fuel economy to expect. While I imagine there are quite a few factors to consider, if the car is in decent shape, could I expect 30 MPG in the city?

I am researching the issues with these cars as I notice they seem to go for 4-7K on ebay. Are they really rare or just sought after? or both. Thanks everybody.

Patrick

Washington DC

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,107 Posts
The price is holding on these cars mostly due to folks that want to "play" biodiesel with them.

Shouldn't expect more than 25 mpg on a good day--this is really old technology now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price is holding on these cars mostly due to folks that want to "play" biodiesel with them.

Shouldn't expect more than 25 mpg on a good day--this is really old technology now.
Thanks for teh reply. Do you mind if I ask what kind of mileage you get from your CDIs?

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
The 300TD's OM617a (the a stands for aspirated or turbo) is one of the most durable dependable engines every built by Mercedes, with several reaching over a million mile mark. 25mpg is about right and pretty good considering the 5 cylinder engine is pushing around a very heavy well built body. I have owned 3 in the past and found them to be the perfect blend of power economy and comfort. Knowing you could jump in at any time and drive across the nation in confidence.
Mark

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
I am researching the issues with these cars as I notice they seem to go for 4-7K on ebay. Are they really rare or just sought after? or both.
Price inflated. eBay is a terrible place to buy one of these cars. The prices are very high, the sellers almost always hide/"forget" important details, many have their odometers rolled back to raise value and a thorough detailing job can make almost any junker look like a cherry in pictures.

The key is to NEVER EVER ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy one off eBay without seeing, testing and inspecting it IN PERSON first. If you can't inspect it in person you are taking a huge risk of not getting what you think you bid on.

There was at least one seller taking pictures of beautiful cars and then sending junkers that look like the pictured car to the buyer.

Your best bet is to look for local sellers in the news paper and auto trader. If you see one on the street, don't be afraid to talk to the owner and make an offer or leave your card on the windshield. Everybody has their price.

could I expect 30 MPG in the city?
Not a chance. 23city/28highway is the realistic range for these cars in good mechanical condition. Anyone that claims to get higher than 32mpg in a 300D/CD/TD/SD is a liar.

several reaching over a million mile mark
Incorrect. The "million mile" engine is a 240D, a 616. No 617 or 617a has ever reached the million mile mark. Expect a 250-350k average lifespan and 400-550k miles if well cared for.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Wiki has some good info, and the car that is in the MB museum had it's engine replaced or rebuilt a few times during the 1,000,000 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
30 mpg

Price inflated. eBay is a terrible place to buy one of these cars. The prices are very high, the sellers almost always hide/"forget" important details, many have their odometers rolled back to raise value and a thorough detailing job can make almost any junker look like a cherry in pictures.

The key is to NEVER EVER ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy one off eBay without seeing, testing and inspecting it IN PERSON first. If you can't inspect it in person you are taking a huge risk of not getting what you think you bid on.

There was at least one seller taking pictures of beautiful cars and then sending junkers that look like the pictured car to the buyer.

Your best bet is to look for local sellers in the news paper and auto trader. If you see one on the street, don't be afraid to talk to the owner and make an offer or leave your card on the windshield. Everybody has their price.

Not a chance. 23city/28highway is the realistic range for these cars in good mechanical condition. Anyone that claims to get higher than 32mpg in a 300D/CD/TD/SD is a liar.

Incorrect. The "million mile" engine is a 240D, a 616. No 617 or 617a has ever reached the million mile mark. Expect a 250-350k average lifespan and 400-550k miles if well cared for.
It's hard to disagree more with such an obviously fatuous statement and the fact that there are millions of both engines all around the world. I have read that there is a 617, a
1981 300D(non turbo) in the MB museum with 2.8 million kms. My ex roommate had a turbo with 750 K many years ago but With clean oil and timely timing chain replacements, a million miles before overhaul is possible but most are pretty tired by 400 to 500K or so but if you are a poor taxi driver in Tunisia you are probably going to ignore hard starting and oil burning and smoking forever. 23-25 mpg is correct. I have an 85 Turbo(sedan) with over 300K which went from 26.5 avg to 29 mpg by just replacing the stretched timing chain and putting in the Italian made bosio nozzles. Very impressed so far

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
I have read that there is a 617, a
1981 300D(non turbo) in the MB museum with 2.8 million kms.
You read wrong on all three counts. It is a 1976 240D with 4.6 million kilometers (2.8 million miles).

Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles

the owner rotated two spare engines in with the car's original motor a total of 11 times.
It means he had three engines and an average of 233,333miles between rebuilds. (original engine plus 11 swaps).

No OM61x engine has reached 1 million miles without a rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts