Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 C240. I put gasoline in it the other day and went to close the fuel door, but it wouldn't close. Something on the inside is preventing the door from closing. It looks like the black "latch"? is protruding more than it should and the little hook like-thing on the fuel filler door comes into contact with it, keeping it from going flush with the car exterior. I can't push the black rubbery "latch" holder (?) back in, but didn't want to try too hard for fear of doing further damage.

Anyone know the cause of this and/or remedy? Hope I explained the problem well enough.....

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions/etc.

Tab

·
Registered
314 Posts
lol-----i bet you locked your car when you went to fuel it didnt you?

well, doing so also locks the fuel door, thus ebing the reason you cant close it after the "lock" is in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately that's not it. The thing that is keeping the door from closing is the black rubber thing that the metal "spike" (door lock mechanism) comes through. It's too far out into the fueling compartment and can't be pushed back in. Thing is, I have no idea how it got pulled out--it was a simple fueling and I noticed nothing different about it til I went to close the door.

Oh well....the car will be seen by the Benz dealer next week.

Thanks,
Tab

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL....figured it out! Thought I'd update in case anyone was interested.....

Nothing out of place afterall with the black rubber thingy that "houses" where the lock spike comes out of. The "hook" (latch) on the door itself was the culprit. When I pulled out the fuel nozzle, it must've bent the piece. The reason we didn't suspect it is that, 1) it's a "perfect" little curve; 2) it's the right size that it would fit inside the black rubber thingy (should it be able to close into it); 3) We just couldn't imagine getting a nice curve on it without noticing it happening, etc. Anyway, after figuring that HAD to be it (we didn't have another car to look at to make sure), we carefully bent it straight, and viola--it works. Feel so stupid, yet glad it was simple....and fixed.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read (and try to help).

Tab

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me too. After I refueled the gas door flap would not close! I have a friend who is good at autos. He look at the problem and after a few minutes figured it out.
THE PLASTIC TETHER ON THE GAS CAP WAS TWISTED AND PULLING ON THE INSIDE OF THE FLAP! Try untwisting the tether. If the tether was a bit longer or not attached to the inside of the flap this would not happen.

I have an 03 C240. I put gasoline in it the other day and went to close the fuel door, but it wouldn't close. Something on the inside is preventing the door from closing. It looks like the black "latch"? is protruding more than it should and the little hook like-thing on the fuel filler door comes into contact with it, keeping it from going flush with the car exterior. I can't push the black rubbery "latch" holder (?) back in, but didn't want to try too hard for fear of doing further damage.

Anyone know the cause of this and/or remedy? Hope I explained the problem well enough.....

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions/etc.

Tab

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol-----i bet you locked your car when you went to fuel it didnt you?

well, doing so also locks the fuel door, thus ebing the reason you cant close it after the "lock" is in place.
it worked. I didn't know that the gas cap assy locks when you lock the car as well. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts