Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 E320 wagon. I recently noticed that when I unlock the car with the electronic key that the PSE pump continues to run for about 10 seconds after the doors unlock. Upon further investigation I discovered that the unlocking of the fuel door lock is delayed about ten seconds and the PSE pump stops as soon as it actuates. The doors lock and unlock immediately. The fuel door locks immediately with the doors but unlocking is delayed about 10 seconds. I removed the fuel door lock actuator and it is functioning smoothly. There is no sign or sound of any leaks. It appears that the PSE control module is delaying the opening of the valve for some reason. Any ideas what might be causing this?

A few years ago I had problems with the PSE pump running for extended periods. I disassembled it and found the motor was failing. I managed to find an exact replacement motor on ebay and, after rebuilding, the pump works as good as new. If you think that may be the problem with your PSE pump and are willing to rebuild it here is the ebay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-RS-555-PH-12V-4500-RPM-High-Torque-5-Pole-Hobby-Motor/281546715509 It cost $8 with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
There is no extra delay. The fuel lid and the doors should lock and unlock within 3 seconds.

If the actuator is fine for both suction and pressure (that you tested from the PSE end which includes the line to the lid), then I suspect it is an internal PSE vacuum / or pressure solenoid valve leakage for that port (whichever applies to unlock the lid).

·
Registered
515 Posts
A leak in the rear driver's door lock actuator caused the same symptom on my 2002 E320 4Matic wagon.

Here's the door parts diagram for a 2002. Scroll down for the second diagram of the rear doors. The actuator I needed was a component of part 7. I got just the actuator from FCP, part 202-800-11-75.

To diagnose, open all doors (except front driver's), lock the car, then put your ear by each door as you unlock the door, listening for a hiss of the leak. On the rear doors, the actuator is at the rear of the door near where it latches to the body. You might not be able to hear it with the door panels on. I only noticed my leak after I took my panels off to do the window regulators.

To replace, find the DIY threads for rear window regulator replacement (by yacht_master I believe). That shows how to disassemble the door. There are also threads showing how to replace the actuator but I recall them being vague.

DON'T DELAY in doing this job. I failed to make time for the repair for maybe eight months, letting the poor vacuum pump hiss for 20 seconds upon each door unlock. Recently, the pump simply quit working. Now I have to unlock my doors by hand until I go get a used pump.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
A leak in the rear driver's door lock actuator caused the same symptom on my 2002 E320 4Matic wagon.

Here's the door parts diagram for a 2002. Scroll down for the second diagram of the rear doors. The actuator I needed was a component of part 7. I got just the actuator from FCP, part 202-800-11-75.

To diagnose, open all doors (except front driver's), lock the car, then put your ear by each door as you unlock the door, listening for a hiss of the leak. On the rear doors, the actuator is at the rear of the door near where it latches to the body. You might not be able to hear it with the door panels on. I only noticed my leak after I took my panels off to do the window regulators.

To replace, find the DIY threads for rear window regulator replacement (by yacht_master I believe). That shows how to disassemble the door. There are also threads showing how to replace the actuator but I recall them being vague.

DON'T DELAY in doing this job. I failed to make time for the repair for maybe eight months, letting the poor vacuum pump hiss for 20 seconds upon each door unlock. Recently, the pump simply quit working. Now I have to unlock my doors by hand until I go get a used pump.
He indicates that his doors lock and unlock immediately, so no problem there. His problem is with the fuel lid, which is a different line than the door lock/unlock line. Did you have a problem with the fuel lid too ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
All of my doors locked and unlocked immediately too, even the rear driver's door which was leaking. For up to 20 seconds after an unlock, the actuator in that door would hiss, the pump would run, and the fuel tank door remained locked. After 20 seconds, the fuel door would finally unlock and the pump would stop.

I haven't fixed the problem yet. Perhaps I have two separate problems. For now, I'm assuming that they are linked. I will fix this sometime soon and report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts