Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 260E (SOLD) ;;; 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently, on my conquest to get a 260e alive and running again, I pulled apart my fuel distributor, and to my horror found that the diaphragm gasket that mates the bottom to the top had a tear in it about an inch long. Easy enough, you would think. So I began my search to find this diaphragm, and to my amazement I have been absolutely unable to find anything, anywhere. I found one on Australian Ebay for 30$, which to me is ridiculous. Its practically impossible to find a gasket rebuild kit anywhere at a reasonable price, so I went online and did some research, and then ordered all the necessary materials to make these diaphragms. My question is how many of you out there would be interested in buying just the diaphragm, or how about a gasket rebuild kit that would contain all O-rings and the diaphragm? I'm thinking around 15-20$ for the diaphragm and 20-25$ for the complete kit. Let me know who might be interested, and any suggestions/ questions you might have!

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,400 Posts
You're not supposd to disassemble the distributor, so I don't think you're going to find too many people take you up on your offer.

If it were me, I would have just paid the $30 to get the right gasket vs. trying to make your own.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,758 Posts
Zack

A noble effort for sure.. The bigger question is if you have completed the rebuild and how the car runs?

Jayare

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Its a very, very tricky deal and you have probably put yourself in a bad scenario.

Larry at CISFLOWTECH has rebuilt 2 of my units and his service is very good. I've tested flow rates from his units back and between all 6 cylinders there was no more than 2/3% variance IIRC. Extremely precise.

If you search my name I have a thread somewhere of the distributor unit apart and the correct sealant needed to seal the two halfs (YES the plastic diaphragm is needed regardless). I did it, but never got around to test it to be honest so I never found out if I succeeded or not.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 260E (SOLD) ;;; 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first of all, there is no right gasket. Bosch doesn't manufacture or distribute any type of gasket or rebuild kits. Everything is aftermarket. I have not successfully rebuilt it yet, the gasket material should be here within 2 weeks. However I will finish the rebuild and quality test the product before releasing it for sale. If explained in layman terms and given quality instructions, with the use of a few tools I feel most people could repair it to operating range. I feel like people should at least have the opportunity to attempt the rebuild, and that's been made almost utterly impossible. That's why I want to develop this product. Right now I'm just trying to see what the demand for it is.

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
I fear that you will find very little demand for a fuel distributor overhaul kit for the reasons previously stated.

That being said.... If you should be successful in rebuilding yours and setting it up. It would be much more lucrative for you to re-man them, than to sell a kit....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts