Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1988 560SEL fuel distributor is plugged I believe, There is not enough fuel coming out of the injector lines.

I believe it is the fuel distributor..

So either the regulator or fuel distributor is clogged... Someone please let me know if you have had any encounter with this or know of it.. so... let me know where to start.

I tested the pump, Its pumping what it says it should 1 liter in 40 seconds.

I'd like to clean the Fuel Distributor if possible, I think there is just a few o-rings in it? Not entirely sure will research more.

Someone direct me where to start please... In need of a little help. There is a car in the junkyard that is identical to it so I can get some parts

Apparently there is a way to adjust how much comes out of the FD, If someone would be so kind to tell me how to test how much is supposed to come out/ how to adjust. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, I am going to take the FD off and see what I can find out. Still really don't know what the problem could be.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
research

Sorry I don't have answers (I pay mechanics for this type of thing), but to aid in your search try going to Google & searching using these specs:
site:hxxp://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/ Fuel distributor
or
site:hxxp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/ 560 Fuel distributor
After pasting either of those lines into Google's search box, replace xx with tt, then hit enter. You can vary the end-text to refine your results.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Dont take apart the fuel dist.... Its probably not the problem anyway
Buy a bottle of injector cleaner and put it in the tank,If theres any gunk in there it may solve the problem....

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 560SEL mod 91,MB 560SEL mod 90
500 Posts
okay, I am going to take the FD off and see what I can find out. Still really don't know what the problem could be.
Before attempting to taking the FD apart, make sure the inlet fuel tube filter is clean and not plugged because if there is some dirt, this filter would be affected more likely and not the FD. There also the fuel pressure regulator that is bolted to FD has a great effect on such problem. Taking the FD apart needs some careful attention and if there is a bad diaphragm or broken ceramic valves seats, you will be in trouble. Sometimes, the FD just need some adjustment and your problem is solved. Cleaning the FD by the cleaning agent that is added to the tank, I would not go for it because if there is some dirt in the tank, it brings it to the fuel filters and the FD and may make it even worse.

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Advice.. I thought that I could rebuild the fuel dist on my 500SEL.. Could not get the metering pin "unstuck". So I took it apart and springs went everyware..The real problem is trying to put it together correctly..Another thing is trying to get the "O"rings...I do Have a diaphram..
If you are frustrated and give up.. I do have an excellent used fuel dist for that engine..
$125.00 shipped.. and thats a lot less than I paid for it.. Bought it by mistake for my 500SEL.
[email protected]
DON...VIRGINIA....

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1985 500SL, 1986 560SL
99 Posts
Before attempting to taking the FD apart, make sure the inlet fuel tube filter is clean and not plugged because if there is some dirt, this filter would be affected more likely and not the FD. There also the fuel pressure regulator that is bolted to FD has a great effect on such problem. Taking the FD apart needs some careful attention and if there is a bad diaphragm or broken ceramic valves seats, you will be in trouble. Sometimes, the FD just need some adjustment and your problem is solved. Cleaning the FD by the cleaning agent that is added to the tank, I would not go for it because if there is some dirt in the tank, it brings it to the fuel filters and the FD and may make it even worse.

Good luck
Where is the inlet fuel tube filter?

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
I took apart my Fuel distributor, laughed and put it directly into a box and bought a new one... Not user serviceable.

Jumper your fuel pumps to get them running.
Then Crack open the pressure test port on bottom of the FD and verify fuel coming out. Let it burp any air then close up.

Jumper fuel pumps again and take the airflow plate and push it down about an inch or two and listen for the singing maidens sirene song...

If you hear the maidens singing your FD is probably ok.
If not something else be up.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 560SEL mod 91,MB 560SEL mod 90
500 Posts
So I took it apart and springs went everyware..The real problem is trying to put it together correctly
DON...VIRGINIA....[/QUOTE]

It is really difficult to put those parts together, I screwed up about three of FD before I could be able to do so. Before sometime, I bought 8 diaphragms from UK, I used 4 so far and still have some as spare ones. Here is the fuel FD filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
My fitting is straight through and does not have a strainer.

The pressure test port is the allen key above the return line?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also my fuel was flowing at a rate of 425ml/8seconds or 2.125l/40 seconds.

I read it should flow at the rate of 1 liter every 40 seconds. Is this a problem?

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
1L / 40s is minimum.

See below for reference. Careful with that thing.
I regret the day I ever took a shot at that Albatross.
IMG00401-20100509-1709 [800x600].jpg

·
Registered
1982 500 SEL 126 V8 Euro Model; Engine type: 117961; tranmission: 722350
563 Posts
WITHOUT TAKING THE FD APART! remove the whole assembly and test the center rod (plunger) to see if it moves freely up and down; if is stuck means the rod is frozen solid and does not allow fuel to pass unto the injectors. If this is the case, no other avenue but to buy a rebuilt unit UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED IN TAKING FD's apart and rebuilding them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts