Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I have wanted a CL500 for a couple of years and now (almost comitted to purchase), just trying to understand what my fuel costs are likely to be during the years of ownership, appreciably I would like to hear from any UK owners since driving conditions tend to be a bit different from you Guys stateside. I have no problem with "ownership" costs and appreciate this is not the most economical car etc etc.
I should add that the model rear is a 2005 which I understand has the 7 speed auto box which seems to be marginally better on juice than the earlier models.
I run a 1996 3.0TD auto landcruiser that the stated mpg figure run at 19.8 Urban / 27.4 Exra urban and 23.9 combined compared to the figures I have for the CL500 at 16.3/35.3/24.8 Combined.
Clearly I dont want to be sitting in traffic jams to long i the merc but also wondered how accurate the combined figure might be??
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
R

·
Registered
362 Posts
it's not accurate at all IMO. mine has the 7 speed, I drive it in "comfort" mode (starts off in 2nd gear), I drive conservatively, and it still gets less than 16 MPG (average). not the car to buy if you're looking for something good on gas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not accurate at all IMO. mine has the 7 speed, I drive it in "comfort" mode (starts off in 2nd gear), I drive conservatively, and it still gets less than 16 MPG (average). not the car to buy if you're looking for something good on gas!
Ah, I see a fellow Harley owner, must equally like he good things in life??
Back to the point tho' the US / UK gallon is slightly different eg; IN UK 4.5L = 1 GAL / IN U.S 3.7L = 1 GAL, expressed as a percentage roughly 20% difference so in UK Gals I guess you are getting 19 ish miles to gal.??
That seems low as I seem to read of several owners reporting 24 mpg (UK) miles to gal ratio.
Get your point re fuel costs and I expect it to be on the heavy side but barely cover 5k miles pa so not expecting to be hit too badly...
Cheers
R

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah the 500's. It's VERY easy to get a lead foot!!!!!! Drive her conservatively and you should be ok. I was getting 9 miles per gallon once, which = 3.83km/L :) Drive her easily on the highway and I've gotten up to 23 mpg = 9.78km/L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah the 500's. It's VERY easy to get a lead foot!!!!!! Drive her conservatively and you should be ok. I was getting 9 miles per gallon once, which = 3.83km/L :) Drive her easily on the highway and I've gotten up to 23 mpg = 9.78km/L
Hi, cheers,
I am beginning to wonder if i made a right choice, i did a lot of research finding a main dealer supplied CL along with a full warranty etc but bargained on the Govt figures for fuel costs 16 urban/35 M'way (US freeeway) / 24.8 combined. I naturally expected a heavy fuel cost and could happily live with 24mpg average (UK) stats, but the stories of 9-16 AVERAGE....begin to worry me a bit. I guees your 23mpg figure is US gals which again convert to almost 28mpg in uk terms which perhaps isnt so bad?
R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts