Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have soon to finalise my order for a SL(currently drive a new shape 320clk Cab)but I am not sure which one to get as far as fuel consupmtion. As I work in the City(London) and in my current car it goes down to 14mpg, so I was wondering if you kind folk could advise me what the is the worst fuel consumption you get in bumper to bumper traffic in the SL500 & the SL55 AMG. I'm just very wary that judging what they list for my car compared to what I get, if I got an AMG55 I'd be risking 7-8mpg and I could not live with that.
PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
2002 CL 500
222 Posts
thats the problem bumper to bumper traffic sitting there burning fuel and going no where, I get 16.9 mpg in normal city traffic, stop and go then you get to do a heart pounding 40mph for a half mile or less. Im debating wheather to buy an sl 55 myself, it might not be worth the hassel if you can't have fun with it. good luck.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
The official figures for city driving between the 500 and the 55 are not too different, so I don't think traffic will be a problem. But be warned, as soon as you start to have fun in the 55 (which you will), the car will burn up even BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the official fuel consumption figures for the 320clk cab is around 14mpg city driving isn't it?

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hfc - 2/8/2005 3:51 PM

the official fuel consumption figures for the 320clk cab is around 14mpg city driving isn't it?
The clk320 Fuel consupmtion should be around 18mpg - in town it averages around 14mpg - 12 at worst. So the AMG55 is listed around 13mpg so using the above to go by it will be average around 9mpg - 7mpg at worst. Thats why I would like some figures from those who know.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
No offense man, but if your worried about the gas mileage between the SL whatever and the SL whatever, you might not want to buy an SL. Perhaps gas is really expensive in the UK, but if your thinking about it this hard, you may want think again about your choice of automobile. Again, no offense intended. It's just that when I drive my car I really don't think about the gas usage. such thoughts really cut into the "fun factor" If I get stuck in traffic then I make the most of it and enjoy all the many play toys (options) the car has to offer. If I want to go fast, screw it, I just do it and have fun. That is what I purchased this car for and I can't immagine having to be always so vigilant about my gas milage to the point where it is actually at the forefront of my buying decision. Hope this helps you make your decision.

·
Registered
346 Posts
agreed, but with the gas prices here, it will always be at the back of your mind.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
I just put gas in my car and do not worried about. If folks ask, I just say I bought my car for fun and have no ideal and do not care about it. If you worried about gas, then you need to ask yourself why are you paying a 100K for a two seater.

If I worried about gas, I would be looking at those ugly hybrids.

·
Registered
346 Posts
hybrids suck, you can get the same or better economy and way better performance from a CDI

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
152 Posts
I drive an SL500 and get about 14- 18MPG around the City and West End. The SL500 is way way better than I thought it would be. I only go to the City once a week but the first 6 trips I made sure I made a note as this is the worst MPG you will get.

I went from a SAAB 9-3 Turbo Cabrio and on my trip meter which was the same as the SL [ records totals between services ] I averaged 42MPH, 240 hours total driving time and 23.8 MPG.

The SL by comparision is 52MPH [need to be maybe a bit more careful but she just luvs going fast! ] 220 hours and 22.8 MPG.

Mainly 120mile round trips on the motorway. At around 90 MPH ??? I get nearly 28MPG, as I say it luvs to go fast!!

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
Hi, TheC320 and C350 cdi is on its way.
I have a C270 sport avantgard and with big feet it still does 40 mpg. I will be changing it in june for a C350cdi. I think it will be in the clk as well. and it flys!.
Ian.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are also plans drawn up for an SL400 CDI (TRIPLE TURBO... yes 3!!!). This will do over 50 MPG!

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
i dont know how to check the gas mileage on my car. How do u all know on yours to teh exactly number? help! :)

I know it sux though cuz i am an "aggressive" driver :)
The way I know that is because I get really good gas mileage in the winter when there is snow on the ground because I am not driving fast or aggressive at all.

Bradley
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts