Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ml500 2006 gsx-r750
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come mercedes did not put a lock on the gas cap?
with gas prices so high these days people are beginning to siphon gas

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
well my 98 has the locking door which prevents getting to the gas cap im assuming 99+ have the same mechanism. if this is what your talking about check fuses and check if the locking mechanism is working and check of the back cover that says the tire pressure is there because the lock grabs on to that.

GJ

·
Registered
2001 ML320 1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel 2004 Honda Civic EX (40 mpg)
13 Posts
Go to Walmart and get a locking cap that fits a 1998 dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel, fit my 2001 ml320. And yes, they are!

·
Registered
2004 ml500 2006 gsx-r750
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my 2004 has no lock on it what so ever so you can just open it from the outside

·
Registered
13 Posts
On ours, you can see on the inside top where an optional lock would go. It has a plastic piece on the door with a hole that lines up with a pin that would drop down if locked...but we don't have it so we have a locking cap instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Especially since it still has the finger grabber thingy poking out...unlike my Honda which they would have to pry open with a screw driver...

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
Yes -it is very easy to pry open a locked gas door

Surprising -that not all ML's have gas door locks (3 family ML's all have them: 98, 00, 02)

Verified -even in a good neighborhood where I live in the Bay Area Cali siphoning has been a growing trend!!

aa

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
You can tie a dip switch to either the lock (for those with locks) or the door itself that will set the alarm off when the door is forcefully opened. Other alternative is to get the ones with locks. But the going thing now is that the thieves bypass the gas door and just drill through the gas tank to get the gas out!!!!! I hope they know gas is volatile!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,697 Posts
Well... siphoning is nothing new. Last spring I almost blew up gas station with my boat. When I started fueling it for season opening, the gas started to run out the bilge drain hole. Turned out that in the storage somebody disconnect the tank hose trying to suck the gas and didn't connect it back.
I had less than 5 gallons in 55 gallons tank, so I don't think they were able to suck anything.
On the second tough the boat have identical screw-on caps for fuel and sewer tanks. Both of them have been loose and sewer tank was 1/2 full.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Well... siphoning is nothing new. Last spring I almost blew up gas station with my boat. When I started fueling it for season opening, the gas started to run out the bilge drain hole. Turned out that in the storage somebody disconnect the tank hose trying to suck the gas and didn't connect it back.
I had less than 5 gallons in 55 gallons tank, so I don't think they were able to suck anything.
On the second tough the boat have identical screw-on caps for fuel and sewer tanks. Both of them have been loose and sewer tank was 1/2 full.

Ouch, you're making me nervous. Mine came off storage over the weekend and is docked. Maybe it's time to change slips - move further away from the curbside!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts