Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6lt 180000km
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 300E.what milage should i be getting? I get around 400km to a 60Lt of fuel. my tires are always correct pressure. car burns a little oil. Any thoughts? My car also gets a rich gassy smell like its not burning all the gas. can and smells from exhaust in the car. replaced exhaust from catalitic back. still smells. cant find any holes.:confused:
Also i changed my thermostat 2 weeks ago and got the air out of the system. Being in Canada and that it is cold always:D i have the heat on. i get a smell in the cabin/interior that smells like coolant. I have no coolant loss at all. Why do i get the smell in the car?:confused:

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
Can't speak to your mileage questions. I've had 2 V8s and a 300D W124s.

Regarding the coolant smell. I had a similar issue on my '95 E420. What it turned out to be was gooey spilled collant in the heater core housing. When I had it replaced, my mechanic spilled just a little bit in the housing, and didn't clean it. It dried, but after a while of having the heater on, the moist, hot air would cause it to soften and outgas into the ducting, sending the smell into the cabin.

You may have old collant in the housing.

Regards,

Aaron

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 95 320TE 02 S500
13,275 Posts
Remove the air filter assembly and check for fuel leaks around the EHA valve. It is on the back side of the fuel distributor, held in place by two fine thread bolts. There are two small O rings between it and the fuel distributor. They may be leaking or the EHA itself my be leaking. If the EHA is leaking, then it's time for a new one or good used one.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Remove the air filter assembly and check for fuel leaks around the EHA valve. It is on the back side of the fuel distributor, held in place by two fine thread bolts. There are two small O rings between it and the fuel distributor. They may be leaking or the EHA itself my be leaking. If the EHA is leaking, then it's time for a new one or good used one.

Good Luck,

Jayare
One word of caution with the removal of EHA, gas will spray out as you loosen the two fine bolts, cover EHA with rag to prevent spray in the eye. And be extremely careful not to lose the old O rings unless you have two new one readily available. Better yet have them avaiable in case old ones are broken. Good luck

·
Registered
'85 300E. unaltered and original. 355,000 kms
128 Posts
Hmmm... 15 l/100 kms. Last weekend over 620 kms of unimpeded country driving, at a rather sedate 110 - 120 kph., and no passengers, my late '85 nearly 290,000 kms. 300E used exactly 9 l/100 kms. Around town/suburban/semi-rural mixed driving I get 12-ish l/100 kms.

Mine was quite thirsty too before I replaced my leaking EHA, original injectors, and oxygen sensor a couple of years ago. I probably have my mixture adjusted erring v-e-r-y slightly on the weak side, but I don't drive in such a manner as to risk pre-ignition, overheating, or any other weak-mixture-related problems. The engine has never been opened but I have a cylinder head refurbishment planned for later this year, which should recapture some of the horses that have escaped over the years. This should also improve efficiency in terms of delivering more power per litre of fuel consumed.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6lt 180000km
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... 15 l/100 kms. Last weekend over 620 kms of unimpeded country driving, at a rather sedate 110 - 120 kph., and no passengers, my late '85 nearly 290,000 kms. 300E used exactly 9 l/100 kms. Around town/suburban/semi-rural mixed driving I get 12-ish l/100 kms.

Mine was quite thirsty too before I replaced my leaking EHA, original injectors, and oxygen sensor a couple of years ago. I probably have my mixture adjusted erring v-e-r-y slightly on the weak side, but I don't drive in such a manner as to risk pre-ignition, overheating, or any other weak-mixture-related problems. The engine has never been opened but I have a cylinder head refurbishment planned for later this year, which should recapture some of the horses that have escaped over the years. This should also improve efficiency in terms of delivering more power per litre of fuel consumed.
What is the EHA? What does it do? I'm taking the car next week to the dealer to get the fuel system and injrctors flushed. From what the service manager tells me the hook it up to a machine and blow some kind of fluid through the system that cleans it. any one heard of this, it cost 120 canadian dollars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.