Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to search the stickies, and have not seen anything that is about the benefits or lack of when using Techron (I'm told the best) fuel additive in a non-diesel car. My mechanic has mixed feelings, but says that if you do use it, you must continue the routine about 3 times a year. Anybody had any experience with Techron or any other fuel additive? Or if you know of a sticky, this would be just as good as long as it covers the proposed question.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
This is the first that I have ever heard of a car becoming addicted to Techron or other additives.

If you buy "top-tier" gasoline, it will already contain all the additives that you need. That's how I feel about it (plus a whole lot of other people - I certainly didn't come up with this idea first).

I only use additives for specific purposes, such as stabilizers for the lawn mower, and occasionally some isopropanol-based additives for gas vehicles that sit a lot in the winter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt L, I hate addictions too. You mentioned "isopropanol-based additives" for gas vehicles that sit a lot in winter. My car probably falls into this category which is partly what prompted my initial question. Can you recommend a brand for this type of additive, or is this a secret family recipe?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I used to use HEET when I lived in MN. Further south a bit, I never need the stuff these days. But it does absorb water from the fuel.

I didn't add it to every tank. Only when something was giving me trouble. Fuel starvation when it is very cold can be caused by water freezing in the fuel, and HEET (or equivalent) does help. It will also get you by with an almost bad fuel filter for a few days. Fuel filters plug more frequently in the winter due to waxes and such precipitating from the fuel.

Don't use isopropyl rubbing alcohol - it contains too much water. However, you're probably OK putting straight grain alcohol (like Everclear) into the tank, if you're in a real pinch and the only store close is a liquor store.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on HEET. Just read a comparison on the Q.M.I. site and HEET is one of several products they tested against their own. Interesting reading but one must consider the source.
Cheers from a frozen and MN. like state.

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Techron has been around a long time. Started using it in the late 80s and it has become the standard in injector cleaners. I would trust it. Never heard that you have to continue to use it, I think that is BS.

HEET comes in 2 flavors. Isopropyl and Methyl alcohol. The bottle colors are different (orange vs yellow I think). I use the methyl based one in cars that will be sitting outdoors in the cold. I read an article years back that the isopropyl ones did not work as well, but cant recall where that was from.

I also use STABIL for any vehicle or gas that sits. I add it to my lawn mower containers before filling up each time and all my classic cars I use it in with each fill up. It will prevent the ethyl alcohol in the fuel now a days from destroying rubber lines and gaskets. One year I had all my 2 cycle lawn equipment fail at the same time (before I used stabil). The rubber diaphragms for the accelerator pumps in the carbs were all destroyed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WagonZ, Just as a point of clarification, do you use the methyl based HEET and the STABIL together, or do they do essentially the same thing? Also, do you do this as a prep for cold weather or on gas that has been standing/unused for a long period of time?
Also, thanks for the info on Techron.
T

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
no need to use "heet" since all gasoline nowdays has some % of ethanol, especially winter blend. a bottle of techron once a year is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Good point, Triona. My experiences with HEET are from before ethanol was added to pretty much all gasoline.

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
WagonZ, Just as a point of clarification, do you use the methyl based HEET and the STABIL together, or do they do essentially the same thing? Also, do you do this as a prep for cold weather or on gas that has been standing/unused for a long period of time?
Also, thanks for the info on Techron.
T
No. I have one vehicle that sits outdoors, but does not sit for more then 2 weeks or so. This one I use the HEET. Main reason is sometimes the tank is not 100% full and I dont want condensation to collect and cause issues.

For the other vehicles that get driven less often and sit all winter I only use STABIL as their tanks are full just about all the time.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I use Techron religeously in all my cars as they recommend (every 3000 miles). I used to use Chevron fuel too until they pulled out of this area. I now use Shell (also a top tier fuel) but the cars don't seem to run quite as well.

Plus the other MB approved fuel additive can be found through a dealer. I have in the past, but now would never use, an additive containing methanol like the HEET that was mentioned.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
3 times a year sounds excessive for a fuel additive, if you're worried about it just put on a new GOOD fuel filter. I'm going to flush out my boxster once winters over..now that i think about it i really need to let it run for like 20minutes tomorrow...i hate seeing it and my euro just SIT. i think it eats away more at me than it does the car haha

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I avoid the use of "solvent based" fuel system cleaners (most oft mentioned Seafoam for example) - however these can be used at low risk if done immediately preceding a oil change so that the blw by gets sent down the drain with the old oil.

As a holdover from my days of diesel MB's in the '80's. I was a diligent user of Techron when I switched over to MB gassers in '90's, going to Techron originally when I has both diesels and gassers in my stable at that time and it was good for both. Techron is based on a non-solvent patented tech. Interestingly the primary indgredient of Techron in much lower dilution in most top tier gasolines inclusing Shell.

I do still use a fuel additive on a regular basis in my gassers, if for no other reason in my mind due to the wide variation in fuel content we encounter due to anti-polution regulations - in some areas including California, the gas from the pump, from the same brand, is varied by regulation as often as week-to-week.

Currently I use the Lucas product, since it is also a non-solvent based tech, and it is the most cost effective by far since a large bottle like $13 can be used for 4+ applications versus the Techron product large bottle at $13+ is a one application bottle.

I generally do a added application when I know I will be running a tank thru on a "road trip", nothing like a couple of good extended driving days to keep a MB running up to snuff.

My tech's rave about BG 44K, especially for catch up applications where no fuel system maintenace can be done. This is a off-shoot from their profesional products which are used in shops, the consumer product generally can be found $22+ per one application can.

I have no comment on the fuel additives used for storage and/or winterland - however, I have had several friends use Stabil successfully to recover their fuel tank sensors in older MB's over a few tanks, sortof a intensive use of the Stabil product for tank sensor recovery.

Keep the beat !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts