Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mail today is a photo shot of a certain white cadillac doing 70 something in a 65 in an Arizona suburb. Fine demands payment or revoke of license. Big brother is getting so large and absurd I cannot believe people put up with this shit. Jakarta is looking pretty smart at this point. This is ridiculous and will force unforeseen consequences for the ravenous revenue rapists.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Enormous photo-radar cameras and photo-radar signs are all over the 101.... Pay attention! You were going over 75mph....

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
There's a city cop in our neighborhood who parks his cruiser in front of his house (I guess his wife does well or something). As of about a week ago, the rear quarterpanels along the trunk each have these square looking things with a huge cable plugged into the back of them. The front of them is flat, but they have little holes cut in them where glass of some kind is flush mounted. Not sure if they're video, or if they're photo-radar, or what.

It's insipid. Fuck this speed limit enforcement bullshit; go prevent an actual crime, you fuckers.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
If the ticket was from REDFLEX, as I would guess it was, you need to read this, search on these guys [Mark and Phil Abshire] and do some research.

In essence, the Redflex person notarizes the signatures of the operators/calibrators of the photo radars even though they have not actually witnessed the signature [a violation of Arizona law].

It is also worth the 30 minutes to watch the video [some of it is poor quality] as these two guys win their case.

While the case took place in Louisiana, the company is based in Arizona.

Safe Speed Lafayette - Protect yourself from the private organization Redflex

By the way, aren't you going to share a scan of the photo?

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
There's a city cop in our neighborhood who parks his cruiser in front of his house (I guess his wife does well or something). As of about a week ago, the rear quarterpanels along the trunk each have these square looking things with a huge cable plugged into the back of them. The front of them is flat, but they have little holes cut in them where glass of some kind is flush mounted. Not sure if they're video, or if they're photo-radar, or what.

It's insipid. Fuck this speed limit revenue generating enforcement bullshit; go prevent an actual crime, you fuckers.
So take a picture of the cruiser so we can figure this out. We need an edge. :D

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
I got a photo radar red light ticket in Calif in Nov 07

In the mail today is a photo shot of a certain white cadillac doing 70 something in a 65 in an Arizona suburb. Fine demands payment or revoke of license. Big brother is getting so large and absurd I cannot believe people put up with this shit. Jakarta is looking pretty smart at this point. This is ridiculous and will force unforeseen consequences for the ravenous revenue rapists.
Decided to fight it "Trial by Declaration" and had heard this guy was good in California (but expensive) so I hired him.

California Moving Violations and Speeding Ticket - Stanley Alari Attorney at law

The declaration was submitted on 01/29 I think.

I await the results.

This Redflex place in Phoenix Arizona makes millions off this crap, they get a HUGE cut off every fine paid.

More and more cities are using them, it's real big, and real easy, money for them.

You should fight the case.

·
Registered
14,512 Posts

Stay with the white and drop-topped but choose something a little slower and less ostentatious.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^A white '05 STS is hardly ostentatious. I will fight this thing. Besides it wasn't me behind the wheel; the long hair, the big sunglasses, the rear view mirror in the way. I had my car valet parked at Barrett Jackson all day. A thug looking valet porter must have gone to get lunch in it. I would never speed, that is against the law, and is sociopathic in a trivial and pathetic manner.

Oh now the stupid picture decides to show up. Uh huh. M'kay.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
If it wasn't YOU in the car, and the photo PROVES it, and you have other extrinsic evidence too, that can prove your car was in the hands of a valet, then you very likely have a valid legal defense, I think.

Ask an attorney that specializes in fighting this $hit in the moderately benighted state where you live.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Pity the lack of bulge there. Guy might want to think twice or get a bigger cup.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
First off this has nothing to do with police officers. Thank your local politicians for these montrosities.

Second I would definitly fight the ticket, but the obstacles they put up often make it easier to just pay the ticket.

These are simply revenue generators to make money(taxes) for the citys who employ these.

Patrick Bedard has a nice article in the March 2008 Car and Driver issue, let me quote a paragraph:

"Let's be clear about the tyranny here. This is not about running red lights. Camera enforcement is a revenuing scheme that depends on an end run around the fundamental American principle Innocent until proven guilty. The glassy-eyed accuser is a robot, and it's not subject to cross examination. Moreover, it's a robot employed by a for-profit business that makes its profits from guilty verdicts. It makes nothing on the innocent verdicts. Such an obvious conflict of interest should bring out all the rifles."

Too he also states "....like most camera jurisdictions, will dismiss a camera ticket under ONE CONDITION ONLY: The car owner has to rat out the actual driver, who must pay....."

Here are some interesting articles from before. If you live in one of these cities and they are planning in installing these. Fight them every step of the way.

The Day the Red-Light Ticket Machine Got Wrecked. - Columns - Car and Driver December 2002

Rear-End Crashes Go up after Red-Light Cameras Go in. - Columns - Car and Driver September 2002

Red-Light Cameras and the Secret Gotcha! Line. - Columns - Car and Driver February 2002

Red Lights, Loot, and the Law. - Columns - Car and Driver September 2001

Chris

·
Registered
14,512 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Someone who regularly boasts about more than doubling the speed limit on public roads is bitching about a ticket for 5mph over.?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-topic/1294447-i-drove-sl55-185mph.html?highlight=mph

He is then encouraged to contest it by an officer?

:bowdown:
Good point, but he didn't get caught doing 185. Its not to say a crime wasnt committed.

And he believes it wasnt him in the car. If he was not then by all means he should fight it. When I stop someone, besides their license pic, a picture also shows up on my computer screen. A little bit more of a safeguard against wrongly accusing someone simply to generate $.

The cameras do not solve anything and in fact cause more acccidents than they prevent, but $ is the key objective, not law enforcement.

I will be the first to say the law and some of the methods of enforcement are not perfect. But that is also why we should be very aware of what our politicians are doing and stop them if necessary. ;)

·
Registered
14,512 Posts
Good point, but he didn't get caught doing 185. Its not to say a crime wasnt committed.

And he believes it wasnt him in the car. If he was not then by all means he should fight it. When I stop someone, besides their license pic, a picture also shows up on my computer screen. A little bit more of a safeguard against wrongly accusing someone simply to generate $.

The cameras do not solve anything and in fact cause more acccidents than they prevent, but $ is the key objective, not law enforcement.

I will be the first to say the law and some of the methods of enforcement are not perfect. But that is also why we should be very aware of what our politicians are doing and stop them if necessary. ;)

Didn't you read post no.9 para 2? :

"Oh now the stupid picture decides to show up. Uh huh. M'kay".

I wonder if any smart Tex/NM cops monitor this site?

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't you read post no.9 para 2? :

"Oh now the stupid picture decides to show up. Uh huh. M'kay".

I wonder if any smart Tex/NM cops monitor this site?
I was talking about the pic YOU posted as sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't show up. Keep focused!

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me guess, before you posted that meaningless response you "got a little high first?" Eh Towelee, eh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts