1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2072706412.html

Hey everyone,

The time has come for me sell my first car. I bought it in August, put some time and money into getting it to be a good daily driver, but realized that I'd like to get into a little newer and more powerful Benz. I am the second owner, the original owner was an elderly gentleman who was a diesel mechanic and used this mainly as his weekend car. If you're on this website, you probably know how great these cars are: built like a tank, good MPG, all around cool vintage vibe :cool: This being said, here is a description of my car:

-1978 non-turbo diesel
-146,xxx miles (going up, as it is my DD to school & work)
-grey exterior, brown interior

The Good:

-new windshield
-new water pump
-new thermostat
-new back left caliper (dragging when bought) and rear pads
-new primary and secondary fuel filters
-just changed oil
-heat blows hot
-cruise control, sunroof, radio, and antenna all work
-no leaks
-great paint (back half could use polish/wax, little more faded than front)
-great interior, 3 small tears in front seats

The Bad:

-pass. side windows have issues: front gets stuck and rear works when it wants to
-fogs not working
-AC not working; could be fuse, but I haven't looked into it, since it's getting cold out anyway
-reverse lights not working, I believe it's the switch on the transmission, which is a $30 part
-the biggest issue is the exhaust. I took the car for inspection in September and everything passed except the muffler due to rust

Of course, none of these things affect how the car drives, she runs like a top :D

I'm looking to get $3500 obo. I'm open to trades for a Benz or VW of some sort. I'd prefer a gasser, but show me what you got!

I'm at work and have no pictures right now besides on my profile, but I'll have more pictures up by tonight.

Car is located in Chalfont, PA (hour north of Philly). If you're interested, let me know on here or call 215-896-0917. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
$3,800 seems high if the A/C doesn't work.

Zero rust, shiny original paint w/ everything working could get $3,500+

My opinion.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
do you have pictures?? $3800 is high. i'd definitely fix all of the little problems excluding the a/c since they are cheap fixes that make the car look like a heap. i'd think $3000 now is a good deal for you and the buyer. the rusted out muffler doesn't sound like the under body is in good shape:(

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe i'll hang on to the car for a while then..it's my first car and i'm getting used to the little flaws it has, so maybe driving it through the winter would be best for me and i can take care of all the little projects and see if i want to sell it in the spring.

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Waiting until Spring is a smart move. Let the economy get back on it's feet again. It's a total buyers market right now. And be prepared for when everyone get's their income tax returns. You'll find a dad or grandpa more than happy to hook-up their 16-18 year old driver with a safe affordable Benz.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a neighbor of mine said he might be interested in selling his 280slc with under 90,000 miles so i'm very motivated to sell this..it's of course negotiable..make an offer!

here is a new CL ad with a bunch of pictures:

1978 Mercedes Benz 300D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts