Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, you read it correctly. You know how many of these cars are for sale in the USA right now? No? Well, me neither, but I'll bet you can count the number on one hand. :)

This is a 1990 560SEL from Japan. It has approximately 83K miles (135KMs). It is an authentic AMG car built via the Yanase network in Japan, with all the correct and rare badging and period-correct AMG parts. All Euro parts are still on the car.

Those include the mighty 6.0 DOHC 32V "Hammer" engine with 400HP, AMG-modified transmission, AMG exhaust, AMG suspension, speedometer, break-in badges, VIN plate, burlwood picnic tables, leather steering wheel, and much much more.

The car is finished in 199 blue/black metallic (charcoal) over black full leather interior. There is a lot of extra AMG burlwood in the interior, including door panels and dash. Even the original burlwood fold-down picnic tables are included, along with center console storage box.

The car has been serviced properly since new. When you import a car like this from Japan, the exporters typically scrub it from top to bottom, removing everything like service records, manuals, etc. But the owner of this car hid the documentation under the spare tire, so it all came with the car!

Lots of service records, and even the incredibly rare (unobtanium) AMG owner's manuals for AMG cars sold in Japan, describing the special treatment these cars needed at break-in time.

The engine is incredibly strong, with solid compression across all eight cylinders. No leaks or head warpage. Everything operates as it should.

The cosmetics are very nice as well. The paint shines, the interior leather is very nice. There are the usual stress cracks to the wood trim, but nothing terrible.

The car drives great, and will be inspected and serviced so there are no problems for the next owner.

This car has a signed-over Canadian registration certificate, but does not have a US title. Therefore, it should be purchased by a Canadian citizen or someone outside of the USA. Pretty soon, however, it will be legal to import a 1990 Euro car into the USA without needing a Registered Importer or to make it DOT/EPA compliant, so sometime at the end of this year it can be made US road legal with a proper US title. If you are patient, you can buy it now and wait a bit, and then title it in the USA.

The car is located in eastern PA, about 45 minutes north of Philly. Fully serviced, it is $29,950, detailed, with documentation, ready to roll.

If interested please contact Bruce at 856-912-2600, or email [email protected].

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 300TD, 1988 190E, 1995 E320 wagon, 1991 300E, 1995 E320 parts car.
124 Posts
I used to visit Bucks County a lot last year. Would have been cool to just see this car!

·
Premium Member
10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,823 Posts
VERY cool car, indeed! :thumbsup:

Cool car. Has anyone (here) actually registered a car under the 25 year rule? What's the procedure?
Way too many emissions, safety etc. related things to take care of to not wait another 8 months to register this.

·
Banned
2,987 Posts
Right.... but I'd be surprised if you can just waltz into a DMV with a 25 year old foreign VIN and expect to register and insure it no questions asked ...can you?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right.... but I'd be surprised if you can just waltz into a DMV with a 25 year old foreign VIN and expect to register and insure it no questions asked ...can you?
There's a ton of info on the EPA/DOT/NHTSA web sites.

Basically, not required to pass emissions standards beyond whatever they were back in the day, and the same for safety.

A bunch of paperwork of course, but no where near the amount of red tape, cost, risk, etc of using an RI to bring it in prior to 25 years.

And in fact, one of the two (I forget which, EPA or NHTSA) is only 22 years, so this car is already clear of needing to meet certain regulations.

Bruce

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Email sent Bruce.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,059 Posts
The actual build date from what I understand is the beginning of the 25 yr. wait. The car was most likely built in 1989.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,005 Posts
Two Rules - 25 year & 21 year

VERY cool car, indeed! :thumbsup:

Way too many emissions, safety etc. related things to take care of to not wait another 8 months to register this.
This car can't legally be registered without waiting out the 25 year age requirement, unless you have it legally federalized, which removes key euro parts that you wouldn't want to do. This car needs to be imported legally through customs, waiting the additional 8 months makes that process easy and inexpensive. Importing through customs before it's 25 years old will get the car impounded and forced to go through mandatory DOT federalization requirements. Purchasing now and waiting 8 months is the best option by far.

There are actually Two key year requirements.

The 25 year rule everyone has heard about refers to Federal DOT regulations for safety items. Bumpers, Lighting, Instrument cluster seem to be the general groups that apply. Yup, the good old USA bureaucrat's think a few more regulations makes the exact same car safer if you do it their way...lol

Notice that pollution control isn't on the DOT list, but it is on the EPA list which has a 21 year rule. So this particular 1990 grey market is already exempt at a Federal level for pollution control. Some states though may have their own regulations which are more stringent than the EPA. It depends where you intend to register it.

One puzzling question is how this car got past customs in the first place, unless someone drove it over the border with Canadian plates then sold it, :thumbsup:.

The Canadians have a 15 year rule, so they already have many Japanese 80's and 90's rare Mercedes. In another 2 years and a few months, we'll be able to import a 92 500E which was originally built and sold in Japan...

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,829 Posts
The actual build date from what I understand is the beginning of the 25 yr. wait. The car was most likely built in 1989.
That is a good point. If you run the VIN through a dealer, they can tell you the Date of Manufacture, which could be printed out and used in determining when the 25 year age limit is reached. US cars have a data plate on the driver's door jamb area that states Date of Mfg, but not the Euro/Japan cars. The model year is of less importance, IMO, than the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
1984 Euro 280E - 1978 280CE (SOLD) - 1983 300D (SOLD) - 1981 300D (SOLD)
289 Posts
wait a minute... did i see this car quite a few years ago at a GTG at Chad's (Chad300TDT) place down in PA? 2009? earlier?

it looks very similar to the one brought to the gathering...

if it is the same, the pics don't do it justice. the car was beautiful and sounded incredible.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wait a minute... did i see this car quite a few years ago at a GTG at Chad's (Chad300TDT) place down in PA? 2009? earlier?

it looks very familiar to the one brought to the gathering...

if it is the same, the pics don't do it justice. the car was beautiful and sounded incredible.
Yes, it's the same car. Thanks for the kind words.

Bruce

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,528 Posts
Fantastic looking car! If I didn't have renovations planned, I'd be all over this.

·
Registered
They breed in my driveway.
1,084 Posts
Looks like a very nice example Bruce.

Only one problem... it's LHD :crybaby2:

You guys get all the luck.

Reactions: z168

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
I bet that car will get the attention of a certain "someone", ehh???
A beaut. Good luck with the sale.

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,528 Posts
Ran the VIN in EPC, and like most cars this age, it shows me the order number, but no date of "delivery" or manufacture.

ETA: For those who are interested, here's the datacard.

Attachments

·
Registered
w201,w124,w126
2,318 Posts
Really nice piece of history there. Hope it goes to a good home and is driven often.

@Aero I, I think its more complicated than that in California. I had an absolute nightmare of a time trying to register my 73 XKE (florida car) in California. It took close to 6 months of back and forth with various departments. The rules they told me aren't published anywhere on the net. And each person you speak to has a different version. And it isn't just foreign cars, the clerk gave me an example of how they refused to register a 1966 Mustang imported from New York. The bottom line was that any car (foreign or not) made on or after 1966 MUST meet all California emissions and safety regulations. If it isn't on their database, you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car meets all Californian emissions and safety requirements.

Lucky for me the chaps at Jaguar USA were understanding of the situation and drafted a letter for me that got me out of that mess. I'm never taking any chances again. That was painful.

I'd love to bring over my 1989 560SEL thats just sitting in storage in Canada. But I'm not taking any chances with the DMV again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not surprising

Really nice piece of history there. Hope it goes to a good home and is driven often.

@Aero I, I think its more complicated than that in California. I had an absolute nightmare of a time trying to register my 73 XKE (florida car) in California. It took close to 6 months of back and forth with various departments. The rules they told me aren't published anywhere on the net. And each person you speak to has a different version. And it isn't just foreign cars, the clerk gave me an example of how they refused to register a 1966 Mustang imported from New York. The bottom line was that any car (foreign or not) made on or after 1966 MUST meet all California emissions and safety regulations. If it isn't on their database, you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car meets all Californian emissions and safety requirements.

Lucky for me the chaps at Jaguar USA were understanding of the situation and drafted a letter for me that got me out of that mess. I'm never taking any chances again. That was painful.

I'd love to bring over my 1989 560SEL thats just sitting in storage in Canada. But I'm not taking any chances with the DMV again.

Very little of what happens in CA politics surprises me, their elected officials lead the way in the search for truth, justice and the American way... ;)
Hey, you guys got Nancy Pelosi & Diane Fienstien keeping us all safe from ourselves, it's really appreciated...

I did recognize that CA had higher standards for EPA stuff, but the safety items concerns are new to me and are hilarious.

One of my Mercedes I bought out of CA, lived it's whole life there, had a really bad front end which needed a bunch of money thrown at it to tighten it up and make it safe to drive.

I contacted the PO and asked him how did it ever pass CA inspection, and I learned that other than smog nothing else is checked annually. Some important emphasis on safety there eh? You can drive around with bad brakes and the wheels falling off as long as it passes smog.. kind of a double standard

Anyway, I'd love to own this AMG, what a beautiful car, it needs a really good home.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
You guys don't know so bad that you don't even know what you don't know.

Reactions: Squabble
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.