Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Located in Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania.

I'm selling 1982 Mercedes-Benz Turbo Diesel. It is a 2 door coupe with automatic transmission. Car has only 133,000 miles on it, and had the entire motor rebuilt just last year (new seals, gaskets, etc.), less than 1000 miles on the rebuild! Car is in very good condition for its age and the diesel sounds amazingCar is sky blue, with blue leather interior, no rips in leather. All power options work (power windows, sunroof, power steering, AC). I am the second owner, and have owned this car since 1987, but its time to let it go. Car gets about 35 mpg highway. This car is a must see!

pictures are available upon request.

Price: Don't know where to start, looking for offers right now.

Please call 717-991-5421 or email the[email protected]

Also selling my 2005 Acura TL if anyone is interested FS/FT 05 Acura TL, Navigation, Black with Black Leather, 6spd Manual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For such low mileage, why a rebuild? What happened exactly??
had a bad injector, so while it was in the shop, just decided to do a rebuild. my younger brother owns a garage and did it for me for free, so i said why not. and when i say he owns a garage, i mean he has a shop. very reputable shop in lowell, massachusetts.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
Diesel rebuilt by a non MB person!?:eek: I don't know!:confused: Unless he IS INDEED an MB indy and has built several diesel engines. I wonder if the integrity of the engine is now compromised by the disassemble. These engines from the factory are bullet-proof. Shouldn't be really messed with unless there is a genuine problem and those start to occur at 300-400K miles, sooner if it wasn't taken care of. If it didn't need a rebuilt and you had it done just for the heck of it, I think you may have caused more damage then good. Just my opinion and past experience from owning these diesels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some pictures. the interior is pretty dirty but wanted to take some pictures before the sun went down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

original manuals

thought this was neat, the tag that was given to the original owner from the dealership.

original bill of sale to me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Diesel rebuilt by a non MB person!?:eek: I don't know!:confused: Unless he IS INDEED an MB indy and has built several diesel engines. I wonder if the integrity of the engine is now compromised by the disassemble. These engines from the factory are bullet-proof. Shouldn't be really messed with unless there is a genuine problem and those start to occur at 300-400K miles, sooner if it wasn't taken care of. If it didn't need a rebuilt and you had it done just for the heck of it, I think you may have caused more damage then good. Just my opinion and past experience from owning these diesels.
he has been a mechanic for over 30 years, and opened up his own shop about 10 years ago. not sure if he's done this generation of Mercedes, but has definitely worked on many diesel engines. the car runs just like it always has. with the seals/gaskets/whatever being over 26 years old, he thought it would a good idea to freshen it up, so it could last another 26+ years.

edit: and sorry I lied, it has 133,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1979 450SEL (On The way), 1980 240D, 1985 300D Turbo, 1989 300E 24v, 2004 C230 Kompressor
54 Posts
Wow, the car don't look to bad compared to the one I have sitting at my shop, I just bought to flip..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Am I missing something? What is so special about a MB engine that only certified MB mechanics can work on them? I've worked on everything from a Briggs & Stratton, Cummins & Detroit diesels, and everything in between. A crankshaft is a crankshaft and a piston is a piston. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I can't understand what the stigma is about a MB engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much are you asking?
just entertaining offers right now.

Am I missing something? What is so special about a MB engine that only certified MB mechanics can work on them? I've worked on everything from a Briggs & Stratton, Cummins & Detroit diesels, and everything in between. A crankshaft is a crankshaft and a piston is a piston. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I can't understand what the stigma is about a MB engine.
exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
the 'ol fashioned way

just entertaining offers right now.
If you are taking offers for "entertainment" - OK. But why 'bump' your own post, unless you are not getting the 'silent auction' action you hoped for?
Don't get me wrong, I like your car & if I wasn't already into this 560SEC, I'd probably seek-out a CD to fixate upon.
I'm just saying that if it's an auction, put it on ebay. If it's for sale, why not name a price & negotiate from there? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are taking offers for "entertainment" - OK. But why 'bump' your own post, unless you are not getting the 'silent auction' action you hoped for?
Don't get me wrong, I like your car & if I wasn't already into this 560SEC, I'd probably seek-out a CD to fixate upon.
I'm just saying that if it's an auction, put it on ebay. If it's for sale, why not name a price & negotiate from there? :D
its not on ebay because i'm trying to sell it without having to deal with a third party. i bump, so that people can see it, that is the point correct? not everybody browses through the classifieds everyday, and if i'm trying to sell a car, then i want the most amount of people to look. i'm putting in best offers because if people were actually serious, they would put in some kind of offer. i've gotten many emails about more info (i don't know why cuz its almost all here) but no offers.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Coupe
137 Posts
If you're actually selling, you must have an idea of what you want to get for the car. Really, an idea of what you want would help. We have all seen some very inflated asking prices here from people not taking into consideration the depressed nature of the market. From what I see, there's a few grand of work needed to bring this car back so that affects the starting price. I would think you'd get more interaction from potential buyers if you start the pricing conversation - unless you think you'll hit the lottery with this car. That won't happen with this very MB savvy group.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
For this forum, made up of discriminating enthusiasts, i would suggest you remove the photos of the dirty interior and re-post clean ones. By posting the dirty photos you give us the impression that you don't maintain the car to the level of obsessiveness that I observe most benzworlders do. That may not be the case, but why not present the car in its best light? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
The rebuild either must have been shady or not gone well at all. Why else would you sell is so quickly after the rebuild? People after getting their diesels rebuilt "properly" fall head over heels in love with their cars all over again and don't easily give them up.;)

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
I will start the bid, I love these cars and used to have an 82 300TD. I will give you $250 and I will pay shipping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.