Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL600 (69k miles), 1998 SL500 (sold, owned from 67k-91k miles)
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I looked for an SL600 this nice for a long time. Finally found it in the MBCA classifieds in January 2016 and flew to Denver to pick it up. It had 55k miles at the time; now it has 69k (actually a few shy), and over the course of those 14k miles the car has received:
  • New Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires (2016)
  • A new Mercedes battery (2020)
  • New Mercedes motor mounts and transmission mount (2020)
  • New transmission plug adapter to stop common 722.6 oil leak (2016)
  • Two new purge valves to address the single time I've seen the check engine light (mid-2019)
  • New Mercedes spark plugs (2016)
  • New Mercedes windshield installed by Simonson Mercedes of Santa Monica (the original windshield was fine but pitted)
The car has also benefited from weekly late-night drives through the Los Angeles freeway system to exercise the magnificent M120 V12 engine. I typically head out around 10pm on a Thursday and take the 10 East to the 110 North, if you're familiar. It's a high-speed course with plenty of room to get the revs up. I can't imagine there's a healthier M120 on the market right now. It has essentially received an Italian tune-up every week for the past four years.

Why am I selling it? Well, I planned to keep it forever. But we had our first child in December -- a happy but unplanned event -- and we only have two parking spaces in our building, and I need to get a car with a backseat to complement our GTI. There is simply no longer room for the SL. My paternity leave ends in April, and I need to have this car situation resolved before then.

What's the catch? Although the title is clean, there is an accident on the Carfax that I didn't know about until halfway through my ownership. When I bought the car, the Carfax report was clean, and the backstory was a good one, involving a Denver-based CEO who donated the car to his own charity and had it appraised at $22k by the top appraiser in Colorado and so on (I have those documents in my records). But in 2018 Carfax got word from Denver PD that the car had been involved in an accident -- "moderate damage, car was drivable" -- in April 2013, and the report was changed accordingly.

If you're interested, I can send you both the original Carfax and the updated one. The price reflects this late-breaking development.

Does the car need anything? No. It's impeccably maintained and dead reliable. I'd drive it home from LA to Maine tomorrow without a second thought if I had a reason. Were I to keep the car, I'd do the front brake pads even though the indicator light isn't on, because I'm getting an annoying squeal at low speeds when they're cold. I'd eventually replace the original gray soft top, which is unraveling a bit on the driver side. Maybe I'd have the wheels refinished. The antenna no longer extends all the way; the motor tries its best, but the antenna stops before half mast.

But antenna aside, everything works, including the top hydraulics and the ADS-II adaptive suspension. Nothing is amiss mechanically. The car is fully sorted. If we had a third parking spot, you wouldn't be reading this ad. Shoot me a message if you're interested, I'll be happy to discuss. -Josh

·
Registered
1999 SL600 (69k miles), 1998 SL500 (sold, owned from 67k-91k miles)
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price improvement, as they say -- $12,250 OBO. I gotta get it out of our tandem spot. If you're interested in coming by for a test drive, I highly recommend it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts