Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Doesn't run? Does it start? Does it crank but not fire up? You've got it priced right.
Any idea of the car's history? thanks

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't run? Does it start? Does it crank but not fire up? You've got it priced right.
Any idea of the car's history? thanks
The car has power (lights, radio, etc.) and I can hear the starter trying to work, but the engine doesn't turn over.

The car has been in my family since ~'97 (my parents were the second owner). They sold it to me last spring. The car has not been in an accident and has a clear title (you can verify that via Carfax). I got it off them with 286k miles and drove it for the last 7k miles.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,981 Posts
More info?

The car has power (lights, radio, etc.) and I can hear the starter trying to work, but the engine doesn't turn over.

The car has been in my family since ~'97 (my parents were the second owner). They sold it to me last spring. The car has not been in an accident and has a clear title (you can verify that via Carfax). I got it off them with 286k miles and drove it for the last 7k miles.
Can you elaborate about how the car was running when you started driving it? (the last 7K miles)

More importantly, what did you experiance with the car before it refused to start? Were you driving along and it just stopped, or was it making funny sounds? Just wouldn't turn over one morning? Overheated? etc. etc.

Some clues as to what happened would be nice to hear...

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Xander, If your looking for a quick sale, I'll bite @ $500.00. I can pick-up any day this week or next except 12/24. Just PM me.

Yes you can part it out for much more than I'm offering if you should choose to go that route and spend the time doing so. Or hang tight for a few waiting for the right buyer.

I'd give it a few days to see if the right buyer pops up for sure though.

I have to assume the engine and trany are toast as no one really knows, hence my low offer. But understand I'd have to drive from Cleve Oh and trailer it back home, and if I get lucky, it's a $500.00 fix at best.

Good luck on the sale.
(my wife wants you to find a buyer other than me) :)

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can you elaborate about how the car was running when you started driving it? (the last 7K miles)

More importantly, what did you experiance with the car before it refused to start? Were you driving along and it just stopped, or was it making funny sounds? Just wouldn't turn over one morning? Overheated? etc. etc.

Some clues as to what happened would be nice to hear...
The rough shifting could be the result of the vacuum pump going out. As for why the engine won't restart...I'm at a loss.

It was running fine until the last couple of miles. The transmission started to shift very rough and didn't want to go into gear. The rest is in the thread below. Basically, the engine was running fine up until this happened. I just drove the car 500 miles down to GA in November without incident.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1558208-transmission-dead-thump-rough-shift-shortly.html

Xander, If your looking for a quick sale, I'll bite @ $500.00. I can pick-up any day this week or next except 12/24. Just PM me.

Yes you can part it out for much more than I'm offering if you should choose to go that route and spend the time doing so. Or hang tight for a few waiting for the right buyer.

I'd give it a few days to see if the right buyer pops up for sure though.

I have to assume the engine and trany are toast as no one really knows, hence my low offer. But understand I'd have to drive from Cleve Oh and trailer it back home, and if I get lucky, it's a $500.00 fix at best.

Good luck on the sale.
(my wife wants you to find a buyer other than me) :)
I understand. That's why I decided not to throw money at it. That and the new house is a bigger priority at the moment.

Haha. There are a couple people locally (yards I'm assuming) that contacted me and offered $500 as well. I'll have to pass on that for now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll go ahead and drop the price to $1,000...as that was the bare minimum I was considering letting it go for. $1,000 FIRM.

If that doesn't work, I'll start gutting it and sell the hulk for scrap.

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump. $1,000 for a diesel with a clear title that you can try to get running, part out, and/or use for target practice. Would consider some firearm trades. i.e. Glock 19 (third gen), AR upper in 5.56, AK, etc. i.e. a new/newish G19 plus $600 cash.

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New price...$900. No thanks. I guess I'll post this again as someone saw the need to delete the post.

·
Registered
'97 Land Cruiser
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
probably because they frown on bumps.
I dropped the price, so I figured they'd let it slide. I'm going to start yanking parts off it in the morning if no one wants it (I'm going to just have someone tow it away for a few bucks).

What price would get someone down here to take this off my hands?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll come and get it if it's free.

(my time and cost for fuel would make this a $500.00 investment just to get it home)

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,339 Posts
How much for the passenger side fender with those slits?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can give you some Raven Concealment holsters for whatever handguns you may have. Orders are curently at 8+ weeks lead time for these items.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts