Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
A few...
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this 1992 500e in January of this year from a dealership in Chicago - drove it home & put it in my garage. Unfortunately my plans have changed & the closer I get to finishing my e320 coupe / 500e wide body conversion, the more I realize that practicality needs to prevail for once. I haven't even titled the car because I've been travelling so much this year, though I have driven it enough around the neighborhood at weekends to keep it from sitting for too long.

This car drives beautifully - very tight & stable. The 300 mile trip home from Chicago was an absolute pleasure. I spoke to the previous owner at length & he was definitely an enthusiast - the car comes with a thick folder of maintenance from his ownership & includes some significant repairs of typical 500e issues like the wiring harness, transmission rebuild and rebuilt AC system. He had the car in Chicago & Arizona during his long ownership & told me that rarely used the car in bad weather.

Please note that the paint on this car is far from perfect, with some scratches, door dings and some paint oxidation along the hood edges; however from 6 feet it still looks great. The only body rust I could find is a tiny area on the roof at the seam where the chrome rear window trim meets - hardly noticeable. The interior however is in fantastic condition. All power options work (passenger window needs a new switch) & as mentioned the car drives flawlessly.

After a full inspection on the lift when I got the car home, I was pleased to see that there was only a minimal amount of maintenance required - probably a days worth of work to replace slightly leaky cam seals, a valve cover gasket & the oil sending unit. The owner of Motorwerks commented that this was a nice honest car - especially with the amount of maintenance that has been performed.

Please send me a PM only if you are interested in the car - I will be travelling again this week, though I can always answer emails. Car is obviously available for viewing in metro Detroit.

It has 141,000 miles & the price is $10,750 or nearest offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bump for you.

It looks really nice with the 199 outside and the pebble inside. I like that color combo. Looks like it has the 500E euro headlights already too.

So you did not mention the miles?

·
Registered
A few...
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Omega.... I was originally looking for a 199 with black interior, though I really liked this combination when I saw it. Yes those are Euro Hella headlights too.

There are MB records for a substantial amount of A/C work done at the dealership.... I'm travelling this week & don't have the records with me to provide more specific information on what was replaced.

·
Registered
A few...
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the car for a good price (Dealership took the car in on trade & had no idea what it was when they listed it on Autotrader....), so I figured I'd pass it on to someone on this forum.

The car will go on ebay this week as I need it's space in the garage.....

·
Registered
always shopping for another benz..
230 Posts
good deal.. i really like these cars in this pricepoint of 10-12k.. great buys.. especially when they come with a stack of records.. id probably pass on 50k mile expamples for 25k just becuase i personally dont like them "that" much, but id be all over 12k examples with decent miles and service history... love the color combo.. nothing beats black interior, unless its black/tan combo.. certainly acceptable.

·
Registered
A few...
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the car on ebay & the high bidder claimed that he bid "by mistake"...

So, it is still available.

·
Registered
93 500SEL DOA - PARTING OUT, 08 CLK350 Cab -DOA, '05 CLK500 Cab (hers), '10 Razor Elec Scooter (his)
1,062 Posts
Gorgeous car! Should move quick, I'd think! Good luck.

acb

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
You said someone called it an honest car...
That appears to be a very honest ebay ad.

And a very fair starting bid. The knowledge that it could sell for that should keep a few potentials interested. Gas prices have affected the selling price of these cars in the last 6 months, I think the pool of buyers shrunk a little.

It is amazing what can be bought in a w124 chassis for $10k these days. I am hoping to look at a Cabriolet today for not much over $10K.

Good luck w the sale!

·
Registered
A few...
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No reason to lie about condition. If it doesn't sell for what i paid for it, then I'm going to keep it & build a rear 2 car extension to the garage...

I HATE people who over sell their cars - "mint condition" is a term that shuld only be used by new car salesmen & concours winners.

This IS a good honest 500e that drives beautifully...

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Well, I did get to go look at that Cabriolet, and paid exactly 10K for it...

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts