Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Looks nice, good description, and best of luck with the sale. With that work, it should get your price if cosmetics are good (you might want to go into more detail on the cosmetics).

One thing to note...bouncy and/or saggy rear end usually means accumulators, stiff rear end usually means rear gas struts which are much more expensive than the accumulators.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 560SEL
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks nice, good description, and best of luck with the sale. With that work, it should get your price if cosmetics are good (you might want to go into more detail on the cosmetics).

One thing to note...bouncy and/or saggy rear end usually means accumulators, stiff rear end usually means rear gas struts which are much more expensive than the accumulators.
Thanks for your comments! The rear suspension did receive some work as well, but don't remember what exactly was replaced. I'll have to look at the paperwork again.

Cosmetically the car is very nice; I'll try to get some more pictures up.

EDIT: I talked to my mechanic again and told him the symptoms. He agrees with Bruce's assessment that it might be the struts. The ride isn't terrible but a bit on the stiff side. Just to give you guys an estimate, he quoted me $1100 for parts+labor on the struts, and he is pricier than most.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 560SEL
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are all of the toys in that garage yours?
I wish!

That's my shop, Kos Motorcars in Montclair, NJ. They mostly work on European cars and have a few for sale. I decided to snap my pics while I was there.

·
Registered
Looking for V8 W140
96 Posts
Dave560,

How long has the car been in NJ? How many miles did it have on the clock when you parchased the vehicle? Thank you.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 560SEL
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave560,

How long has the car been in NJ? How many miles did it have on the clock when you parchased the vehicle? Thank you.
2 years in NJ

This is my second SEL. I used to have a 1985 500 SEL that I put a lot of miles on (relatively...60k or so). I bought this, but gas prices have moved up and I have no need for it. I planned on keeping this forever, but can't justify it.

·
Registered
Looking for V8 W140
96 Posts
2 years in NJ

This is my second SEL. I used to have a 1985 500 SEL that I put a lot of miles on (relatively...60k or so). I bought this, but gas prices have moved up and I have no need for it. I planned on keeping this forever, but can't justify it.
You wanted to modify exhaust. Did you?

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 560SEL
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other odds/ends replaced:

-New Tstat (had this done before getting the new water pump later on)
-New shifter bushing

Also must mention the headlamp wipers still work! Even our 1998 SL500 doesn't have working headlamp washers :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,145 Posts
You should probably also post this in the 'for sale' forum.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Tahoe LT, 2012 VW Jetta 2.oh slow, 1998 E55 AMG
261 Posts
Wow, this is something that i am looking for!!!

However im based in Saudi Arabia at moment :(

Good luck with your sale though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts